2

April 10th, 1912
10:00 pm

"Get back." I say. "Get any closer, and I will jump."

"I don't think you will."

"You don't know me." I say, turning my head back to the water. I look down. This will be a long fall, I will die before I even get to drown or freeze. Instant death. Perfect.

"I don't know you, you're right. But I do know that you won't." He says. He reaches his arm out, but doesn't take another step. "Just give me your hand, and I'll help you over."

"No thanks." I say. I continue to stare at the waves, dark and mysterious.

"Then I'll just have to jump after you." He says. He steps to the side and begins to take off his boots and coat.

"You're insane." I say, looking over at him with slight judgement.

"With all-due respect miss, I'm not the one hanging on the railings at the back of a giant ship." He says. I roll my eyes and stick my tongue out at him. I can tell he's trying not to laugh. "Not very lady-like of you."

I start to let go of the railing with one hand.

"Whoa! Don't do that, let me off the hook here! I don't want to go in after you, but I will. You jump, I jump. You ever been to Wisconsin?"

"Wisconsin? What does that have to do with anything?" I ask. I grab back onto the railing. I won't admit it, but I'm scared.

"Very cold in Wisconsin. I went ice fishing once there, fell right through. Feels like you're being stabbed by four thousand knives. You can't feel anything, and hardly think of anything, except the pain. Sure would be a shame having to live that again."

"You're not actually going to jump." I scoff.

"You're not either." I look back down at the waves. "Just give me your hand. It doesn't have to end this way."

I hesitate for a minute, but because I'm scared, I grab his hand. I slowly start turning to get back over the railing, and I slip on my dress. I fall. But he catches my arm.

I scream as I begin to slip from his grasp. "DON'T LET GO! PLEASE!" I yell, and he grabs on with both arms.

"I won't drop you, miss. You're safe. Just try to pull yourself up." He says, trying his best to pull me back. I try to push myself up, but I'm not able to do much. I get up high enough for him to reach under my arms to get a better grip on me, and he pulls me up. "there we are. You're okay." He lifts me over the railing, and we fall onto the ground. I'm panting. "I'm Jack Dawson." He says.

"Sophia. Sophia Winslet."

I hear several sets of shoes running along the deck. They soon reach us, and I look up. The Captain, a few crew members, and Cal.

"GET AWAY FROM MY FIANCE!" Cal yells, as he runs over to me. He pulls me up, hard.

"Cal he didn't-"

"Explain, sir, why you're missing some items of clothing." The Captain says.

"I-" Jack is speechless. One of the crew members begins to handcuff him, and I look at him with sad eyes.

"He didn't do anything!" I shout. Cal yanks on my arm. "Cal, he saved me!" I yell at him angrily, glaring at him.

"It didn't look like he was doing much saving, you were screaming." He says, with a glare that outdid mine.

"I was leaning over and looking at the... at the propellers, and I slipped and fell. He caught me and helped me back up, I only screamed because I thought... I thought I'd fall and die."

"Is this true?" The Captain asked Jack.

"Yes. Yes, that's about it." He says, looking at me. The one man takes the handcuffs off of Jack. Cal starts pulling me back inside the ship, and I look back at Jack.

"Cal, he just saved my life, are you not going to repay him?" I ask him, angrily. Cal rolls his eyes and hands Jack a roll of money from his pocket.

"I don't want your money, sir." Jack says. I'm shocked. The boy obviously has hardly any money in his pocket, if any at all, and he refused a payment.

"I suggest you give the boy more than just money, Sir." One of the crew members suggest. Cal begins to walk away with me.

"Cal, for the love of all things holy, stop." I say. He stops. "Invite him with us to dinner tomorrow."

"Fine. Dinner. Tomorrow." Cal says with no energy. We walk away, and I turn my head to mouth the words thank you to Jack. He gives me a small bow and goofy grin, which causes me to giggle.

That boy is a hero. It doesn't matter what class he is, he deserves so much more than he has.