chapter II (phantom pov)

Phantom watched as Vilana eventually fell asleep. He took a deep breath. He truly wished Vilana wouldn't blame herself. He settled down on his side of the dorm. The two friends had met by accident, running away from the same thing. Family and school.

And they were both headed for the same place, Wayware Academy. So, they became friends. Ever since then, Phantom hasn't been able to sleep. He had to watch over her and make sure she was safe. Phantom got into bed. A sleeve flew up, causing him to wince at the sight of his scars.

Before he met Vilana, he had never wanted to live since he had no purpose. Just because you have no purpose doesn't mean you stab yourself with glass, He thought through clenched teeth as he yanked down his sleeves. Now, he had a purpose.

He took a glance at his bed stand and opened one of the drawers. In there was a glass shard, stained red with blood. He slammed the drawers shut, angry with himself for even thinking about it.

Vilana is your purpose. Vilana is your purpose. Vilana is your purpose. Vilana is your purpose. He tried to assure himself.

Phantom closed his eyes and hoped that no nightmares would haunt his dreams.

***

Six-year-old Phantom ran behind the couch, hoping his mother wouldn't find him. Tears fell from his eyes as he wrapped himself into a hug. Don't check. Don't check. Don't check. Don't check. Don't check. Don't check. Don't check. A small desperate cry escaped his mouth as he tried to be quiet.

Don't check. Don't check. Don't check. Don't check. His heart pounded, the beat the only sound in his ears. He heard his name. Don't check. Don't check. Don't check. Don't check. And then, he saw his mother.

***

Phantom bolted upright. Suddenly realizing he wasn't at home, he flopped back down. Vilana is your purpose. Vilana is your purpose. Vilana is your purpose. Vilana is your purpose...Then, he fell into a dreamless sleep.