2. Halloween

Black Widow Chapter Two: Halloween

Sure enough, the next day during lunch Counselor Blatt was making an anti-bullying announcement and she wasn't doing a very good job at hiding who it was about. She made it so obvious when she said she had received a call from a parent whose kid was crying because he was being bullied online over a facial deformity. It was like she wanted this to get worse for Eli.

"You know, if you're sick of getting bullied my karate dojo's looking for recruits," Miguel offered as Counselor Blatt went on.

"Yeah, right. You hear that, Eli? A little karate training and you're gonna kick some major ass," Demetri mocked, doing some hand-chopping motions.

Miguel rolled his eyes. "I'm serious, Demetri. I mean, my sensei's the real deal and I'm sure I could get you three discounts."

"As enticing as that sounds, I think we'd rather spend our afternoons playing Crucible Control than getting hit in the face," Demetri responded.

"Learning self-defense is not a bad idea," Sloane argued, shrugging. When her grandparents were still alive, they enrolled her and her older brother in martial arts classes. She had to quit around middle school, but she still appreciated the lessons.

"Thank you," Miguel said, giving Demetri a look. "So, are you guys going to the Halloween dance?"

Sloane nodded. "Yeah, if I can get a babysitter," she responded. She didn't mind allowing them to be home alone during the day because she trusted Duncan enough to prevent any housefires, but she didn't like them being alone after dark, so if she was gone in the evening for work or when she hung out with Demetri and Eli, she did try to get someone to watch them.

Miguel frowned. "You got kids I don't know about?" he asked, attempting a joke.

"Oh, you didn't know? Total teen mom over here. I mean, she bounced back, but that was a rough year," Demetri deadpanned. 

Sloane kicked Demetri under the table. The boy dramatically moved his chair further away from her as Eli snickered. "I have a younger brother and sister, but that's a long story and we only have like...five minutes left until next period, so..."

Miguel nodded. "Right, Halloween. I'll see you guys there then?" he asked as he stood up.

"Yeah, we'll be there being miserable," Demetri promised while grabbing his bag and standing up to walk to class.

⊱ ────── {⋅. ☯ .⋅} ────── ⊰

After sewing on the last details of her costume, Sloane headed toward the school for the Halloween dance. With a shitton of fabric and hand-painted accessories, she had recreated the suit Black Widow wore in Iron Man 2. It had taken her months to get the details right, but it was absolutely stunning and hard to tell from the real thing, so all the time and effort was worth it in the end. It was only a shame that it was just for a high school dance. She didn't have a red wig, but she figured as long as her hair was curled, the color didn't matter.