Making New Friends

Marcus, my seatmate and somewhat friend. I don't know he's kinda a mysterious guy. All I know is we are in the same astronomy class, he's really smart and enjoys going to the gym with his friends from he's Soccer practice. From what I've seen from our limited conversations, he seems like a really nice guy.

“Oh shit sorry Alice. Didn't see you there.” Marcus said, stunned.

“It's all good, Marcus. I wasn't paying much attention either, so I'm sorry as well.” I replied

“You headed to class?” He questioned

“Yeah I am you?” I responded

“Mhm” He hummed

“Hey I know we don't know each other that we'll, but did you wanna head to class together. Considering we have the same class and all.” I questioned awkwardly.

“Why not” He replied

As we started walking to class, conversation started to become a lot easier with him. When we reached class, we sat down in our seats and continued to converse until the professor arrived.

Time Skip

At the end of class I say goodbye to Marcus and leave the classroom headed to the canteen where I normally meet Mason and Brittany. Noticing some weird stare I was getting from a few people, I waited 10 minutes for them, but they didn't come. Checking my phone, I see a text.

Mason: Hey Alice, we finished early, so don't wait for us. We've already gone home. Tomorrow, we're also heading into uni early, so we won't walk there with you either, sorry.

Reading that I feel a twinge of sadness pull at my heart. Ignoring the feeling I reply with;

Alice: Yeah, all good. I completely understand. I'll see you tomorrow, arvo, then?

I don't have to wait long as the reply I get is almost immediate.

Mason: Yeah, probably.

I don't know what's going on with him or if it's just me, but it feels like he's being kinda dry. Leaving the canteen, I make my way out of the school until I hear pound footsteps behind me.

Looking behind me, I see Marcus with some of his friends. Marcus notices me looking and yells out for me to wait, so I do.

“Hey Alice, why are you all alone? Are you normally with Marshall and Barbie.” Marcus says, bored

“First of all, their names are Mason and Brittany, and second, no, they left already.” I reply blandly

One of the girls that hangs around with Marcus pipes up.

“Why did they leave its not that hard to wait for your friend? Anyways I know your name, and you don't know mine, so I'm Ruby. It's lovely to meet you.”

Shaking Ruby's hand, I look around at the other 3 people that I don't know. Noticing the confused look on my face, they each introduce themselves.

“Hey I'm Oliver, and this is my girlfriend Sadie” He states calmly.

“Hi, it's so lovely to meet you.” Sadie giggles

Shocked by how energetic Sadie is, I jolt.

“Oh I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you.” She addresses concerned

“Oh no, it's all good, really there. There's no need to worry. I'm just not used to being around so many people, much less them all being energetic, sorry.” I stress try to make Sadie feel a bit better

“Hey it all good, you get used to it” the unknown man says, looking at me with sincerity “Oh right!! you don't know my name. My name is Andreas.”

“It's nice to meet you all” I calmly reply slowly, getting more comfortable around the 4 I just met.

“While I'm glad you're all getting along, I still want to get food, so if we could please go do that, that would be great.” Marcus finally speaks after a short break in conversation.

“Oh I'm sorry. I didn't realise I was interrupting you guys getting food.” I say worried I was bothering them

“Nah your all good Ali-” “ Hey, why doesn't Alice join us in getting food!” Rudy and Sadie say excitedly accidentally interrupting Andreas.

“Sure why not” Marcus plainly stated

“No really it's fine. I should probably get home away.”

“Nonsense your joining us for lunch, and that's final.” Oliver says while Marcus nods along with what he's say.

“No really I don-”

“Shush child, you will come have lunch with us since you clearly haven't eaten. Your friends left you, and also, you're our new friend now, so you gotta deal with it.” Ruby interrupted me, sounding like a lecturing mum.

“When did she become our friend?” Oliver questioned

“Right now so shut the fuck up and deal with it” Sadie snapped

“I didn't say I had a problem with it I was just thinking about if she didn't want to.” Oliver defends

“Oh wait, you're right. Would you like to be our friend Alice?” Sadie questions pulling the puppy dog eye.

“I don't see why not.” I respond

“YESSSS NEW FRIEND” Ruby and Sadie scream

Walking towards a small Cafe we continue to talk, laugh and joke around. That's when I came to the realisation that this is the most I've laughed or had joked around like this with people outside of my family in years.