ugly sweaters

"what a sight for sore eyes

brighter than the blue sky

she's got you mesmerised while i die."

i.

jeongguk tries to ignore the sight in front of him. he really does. but his eyes really want to betray him. taehyung, basically draped over yoongi, their laughter filling the relatively quiet office. taehyung was just supposed to help yoongi with his excel sheet, not laugh like a highschool girl when yoongi marvelled about how taehyung "excels in excel."

it wasn't even funny.

but again was this new? certainly not. soonyoung and jimin had already placed their bets on who was going to ask who out first. seokjin chided them for making such bets about their colleagues but jeongguk knew his boss had done the same. hypocrites.

seungkwan went further up a notch and asked them if he should sing 'love poem' at their wedding.

jeongguk never wanted to snap someone's head as much as he wanted to that day. every single person in the office knew that taehyung and yoongi were the endgame.

even the intern, soobin, who had joined last month had innocently asked jeongguk if taehyung and yoongi were dating. jeongguk had uttered out a "no" so bitter that soobin decided to forgo his coffee for strawberry milk.

every person in the office knew that nothing was stopping the eventual romance between these two, jeongguk included. there was absolutely no way he could make taehyung look at him instead of the charming, talented, handsome min yoongi. he was in love, not delusion.

his eyes were so transfixed on the duo that he completely missed the pair of eyes staring at him instead. when jeongguk does eventually turn, he is face to face with mingyu.

the only person in the entire office who knew about jeongguk's one-sided pining.

"well?" mingyu cocks and eyebrows "what did i tell you about staring?"

mingyu had once caught jeongguk looking at taehyung and, of course mingyu with such a murderous glint in his eyes that he had to spend thirty-minutes convincing jeongguk how jail had bad food and no-wifi.

"sorry gyu, i'll get to work." jeongguk was a professional, he could not let his personal and work life get mixed, not at all. he hated it the most.

mingyu sighed, taking pity on jeongguk. "drinks after work?"

"i could marry you."

"ew, no." which earned mingyu a smack on his head. but it was so loud that it caught the attention of the two people jeongguk absolutely did not want attention from. taehyung gave him a good natured smile before returning back to whatever conversation he was having with yoongi. jeongguk could never even imagine being a part of it, let alone be the reason for the smile that was on taehyung's lips.

he really needed that drink.

ii.

it had been a couple hours since he and mingyu entered the bar, far from empty as expected on a saturday night. the alcohol provided a pleasant buzz that jeongguk desperately needed. he wasn't too opposed to the idea of a crowded bar. he liked crowds, not because he was a social butterfly, but it made him and his problems feel miniscule. pushing his old twenties he was no longer that party animal that he once was back in college, drinking the night away. these mini getaways with mingyu was more than he could ask for. his college days had however made him a monster with alcohol, jeongguk being the only person who could keep up with namjoon at company gatherings. so he is not surprised in the slightest when he finds mingyu flushed and swaying while finishing up his third beer.