Mischief and eavesdrop

Y/n looked at the screen, shining artificial light into his vision, as he felt panic rise the longer he watched the screen.

His eyes snapped to the window they were sitting by, There was someone standing outside- was what the h/c haired was expecting, but there was...no one. There was no sign that anyone had been in the area. The only thing the boy saw was the outside street, a lamppost, and the hues of sunset peaking up on the horizon.

"Y/n...Are you okay?" Alex asked, noticing the boy's shift in demeanor. Y/n moved his gaze back to his company, struggling to find the words he wanted to get out. "Yeah, I just thought I saw someone I knew." Alex pulled his brows together in skepticism. "Are you sure? You look a little pale." Y/n made every effort to maintain eye contact with the green-eyed male and not avert his gaze. "Yeah, I'm fine, Alex. It's around 6:36 am now. It takes around forty to fifty to get to school on foot, I think it's best if we get moving." With that, Y/n stood up and strode up to a trash can, dumping his drink in the garbage.

You had lost your appetite.

Alex trailed behind the h/c haired male, throwing away his cup when he passed the trashcan. The blond had finished his drink. "How do you know it takes up to forty minutes to get to school on foot?" Alex inquired, catching up to the male to walk beside him.

Y/n opened the door to the cafe and walked out, the door closing with the sound of the bell. "I have walked to school before, and it took roughly forty minutes." Y/n shrugged, kicking a peddle on the ground and watching it roll onto the street. "Oh okay, alright, let's get going then." Alex happily said.

The duo walked down the streets of Runswick, the streets gradually began to come alive with activity. A few cars drove past, a lady with her dog walked past them, and a runner was jogging on the opposite street.

Alex and Y/n walked in silence until Alex spoke up "So, is there a reason you wanted to question me about Avery?" Y/n cast a sidelong glance at the blond male, he didn't want to inform Alex that his mother had refused to investigate his sister's disappearance.

"My mother requested that I question Avery's closest friends and family members because she is too busy to question people herself. She will look into any recordings I get and try to find out why your sister vanished." He lied.

Alex nodded. "Okay." It briefly fell silent once more.

"Hey, Y/n?" Alex muttered Y/n stopped in his tracks to peer back at the male, "Thank you, that you're doing this for me, for Avery." Alex's tone was soft, almost regretful. Y/n moved his eyes back in front of himself "... Of course, no problem." The h/c haired muttered.

.

.

The building of their school came into view. Alex pulled out his phone. "You're correct; roughly forty minutes." Alex admitted, Y/n arched a brow "Were you doubting me?" He questioned. "No, not at all; I just wanted to see if you were right." Alex shrugged.

The two walked up the gate and stopped when they got into the school. "My locker is on the other side of the school, So I'll see you?" Alex gestured. The h/c haired nodded. "Yeah, see you later, Alex." Y/n waved goodbye and started walking to his own locker. Today were the two classes he each shared with Nova and Elio. He grabbed his needed books and stuffed them into his bag.

Y/n decided to get a head start and get to his homeroom class. But just as he was about to turn a corner, he paused when he heard familiar voices on the other side. He peered past the corner and quickly stumbled back when he saw who it was.

Roy was leaning against a wall with his hands in his pockets with an uninterested expression. Ezra and Elio were standing across from the redhead, Elio looked irritated, evident from his stern face and crossed arms. Ezra, on the other hand, wore a blank expression,