Prologue

"There is no place for you here."

A cold, harsh voice pierced the silence of the compartment. While it was barely louder than a whisper, it was strong and powerful, a voice that expected to be heard. It came from a tall and proud figure shrouded in darkness, hardly visible in the dim, lantern lit compartment that he stood in. There was certain stillness around the man, who did not move despite the constant rattling of the floor beneath his feet. From the small window, dark, silhouetted trees raced past in a blur and an engine's chugging filled the otherwise silent night.

"Please don't do this." Another voice spoke, coming from a figure crouched on the compartment floor. "Please, I beg you. I had no choice!"

"Silence." The cold voice was like a cracking whip, instantly quieting the other figure's pleading. The first man took a few steps closer, towering over the second and looking down with disgust. "You have broken the rules and you know the penalty it carries. You will leave at once."

"But where will I go?" The other person demanded, both desperately and angrily. "I have no other home. Please I beg you, do not send me away."

But these words fell on deaf ears. The taller man signaled to someone and at once two pairs of strong hands reached out of the darkness, grabbing the withering and struggling figure on the floor. A door opened somewhere and cold air surged in. The whine of the engine filled the compartment as the large hulking figures moved closer to the opened  door, suspending the struggling figure, a young man, between them.

At the tall man's signal, the young man was hurled out of the rattling compartment, which was instantly slammed shut behind him. The young man was sent flying into the night, eventually making contact with the ground and  rolling limply across the wet grass. He had landed in a field. His whole body throbbed yet he still struggled to his feet, looking over his shoulder at the train he had just been on rushing away.

In vain, he ran after it, calling into the night in hopes that someone would let him back on. But it was hopeless. The train continued on it journey, much too fast for the young man to pursue on foot. As his legs gave way beneath him he watched as it soon disappeared from sight.

"Please." The young man called out in desperation, his voice croaky and breathless. "Please, I don't want to be alone again."

But the train was gone. The young man hunched over, beating at the soft earth and grass with his fists as angry tears trickled down his cheeks. A mixture of emotions rose up inside of him, threatening to burst free, which they did. The boy let out an anguished howl that no one heard. The night silence drank it in and the boy was left curled on the ground.

"Please." He whispered into the earth. "Please...come back."

But he knew that they weren't coming back. He was alone again, alone and unwanted, just as before.