Chapter 1: The Lonely Teenager

The front doors were thrown open and a sea of chattering students swarmed out. Sounds of laughter and conversation filled the air as another school day ended. A gaggle of girls sauntered past, discussing the latest episode of Vampire Diaries, care free and happy.

How I wished I could be one of them.

Among the crowd of noisy students, I walked alone. Head bent, face hidden beneath my hood, I continued my silent trudge, wishing that someone would acknowledge me, maybe ask me how much homework I had or if I would be available next Friday. But no one did. Even in the crowd, people seemed to stay away from me, as though I carried some viral disease. It had always been like that for me, although for a short time I had forgotten how depressing it all truly was.

Snow was falling lightly and a cold breeze was blowing. The students were already taking cover, ducking into warm car interiors or coffee shops. By the time I had reached the school gates, I was the only one standing under the slate grey sky. Glancing up, I momentarily contemplated on seeking shelter in one of the shops that stood in front of the school gate, thinking longingly of being served a nice warm cup of coffee. But then I thought how odd it would look just sitting there on my own. Cafes were places for people to socialize. Since I had no one to even speak to, what purpose did I have of going there? With this in mind I turned my back on the flashing neon signs and took my usual route home.

It was these lonely trudges that emphasized the lack of company I had. Other kids just seemed to prefer avoiding me. It had been that way ever since I started school and I could never explain why. But there had been one person who had kept me company for many years. Having her in my life had kept the loneliness at bay. That is, until she moved to another country.

Hilary had been my best friend since the primary school. She had been the only person who ever bothered to talk with me, to treat me as though I actually exist. She had reached out to me on her first day and we had been friends ever since. Thanks to her, people had started to notice and speak to me too. But the moment she had left, it seemed as though I once again became an invisible girl.

The chilly wind blew at my face, causing my hood to fall back and making my brown bangs whip around like withering snakes. The wind nipped at my cheeks and ears and I frantically pulled my hood back over my head, shoving my hands further down my pockets and trying to stay warm.

The streets were empty; most people had taken shelter indoors. Occasionally a bundled up person would hurry by,  not keen to stay out in the cold. I passed frosted shop windows, smudges of yellow light barely visible beyond the glass. Reaching out, I rubbed at a window with my sleeve and peered in. My own brown eye was reflected back at me, making it difficult for me to make out the moving figures inside. Drawing a deep, shuddering breath I continued on my way.

Why can't Dad take the time out to come pick me from school? I thought to myself, cursing the cold that seeped into my bones and I struggled through the heavily accumulated snow. Can't he or Mum bother to acknowledge me too?

Even my own parent's ignored me most of the time. They were always so busy with work; they barely had time for me. The kids at school were bad enough, but my own parents? It frustrated me how much every one ignored me.

Feeling a surge of anger at this thought, I kicked aggressively at a cola can lying on the ground. My kick sent it hurtling in the direction of a trash can. The collision of the two objects was like a gunshot, so loud it shattered the silence that had settled without my notice. There was a ugly yowl followed by a mangy looking cat jumping out of the garbage can and streaking past me. It was only as I watched it disappear around the corner that I realized I had no idea where I was.

The alleyway I had turned into was not my usual way home. In fact I would never have dared to set foot into it. It was shadowy, littered with garbage and trash cans. Mirror shards lay beneath a filthy, broken window and there was a sickly sweet scent hanging in the air, as though something had started to rot.

I must not have noticed where I was going while lost in my thoughts, because the moment I had taken in my surroundings I wanted to get as far away as possible from this place. Something didn't feel right about it. It filled me with a sense of dread. I glanced warily at the shadowy sides of the alley, as though I expected something to jump out and grab me. I turned on my heel, intending to get away from the alley as fast as possible, but then I froze as a strange sound reached my ears.

It was music. I blinked, surprised. No, I defiantly had not mistaken it. There was music drifting into the alley from the other end. I turned and squinted ahead.I was momentarily torn between locating the source of the music and running home. Then, after a few seconds of contemplation, I did the dumbest thing I could have done–I took a few steps forward, walking deeper into the alley.