Chapter 2: Follow The Music

Despite the distant hum of the music, the silence hung here too, except it was far more tangible than in the streets. I could feel it pressing down, allying with the shadows to try and suffocate me. I quickened my pace, my sneakers barely making a sound as I hurried forward, my eyes craving what I hoped would be a brightly lit exit from this hellhole.

I wasn't disappointed. As I stumbled out of the narrow passageway I found myself in a small bright street. Snow was falling and it settled softly on the cobbled street floor. I looked around. There was no one in sight. The small street met with dead ends on both sides, their paths blocked by the back of two buildings. The side of the street I faced, there stood a few dingy shops with many floors piled up above them.

All of them looked dark and old. The glass panes were dirty; the signs that hung from the doors bore faded words with missing letters. I made out a few mannequins on display behind a dark window; two were missing limbs, one a head. All three were dressed in faded, frilly gowns, the type one might see in old paintings. Still staring around, I realized that the music was still playing. It came from one of the shops at the end of the street. I moved closer, curious to find the source.

Now that I was close enough, I couldn't help but think what a sad, mournful tune it was. I couldn't place what sort of instrument made it, but it was beautiful. Beautiful and sad. I wondered who would be playing such an eerie song.

I stopped in front of the shop the music was drifting out from. It was dingy and  dilapidated like the others. The shop had no name, but an overhanging sign bore a faded carving of a wooden puppet.

There was a window to the side. I cleared away the frost and dust with my hand, peering inside the dark, dimly lit shop. I spotted a counter to the right and a few shelves, but nothing more. Sighing, I pulled backed and stared at the sign, wondering if I should go inside or not.

I knew it wasn't a good idea to wander off to places one did not know of; much less wander into a dark shop without someone with you, but the music beckoned me to abandon caution and follow after, which is exactly was I did.

I need to know where that music is coming from. I told myself, not really knowing why. I'll go home once I find out.

I reached out and rested my hand against the brass door knob, staring at the green, peeling paint of the door. My breath came out like miniature clouds and I realized once more how cold it was. I twisted the door knob and pushed open the door, hearing a tinkling sound as the bell overhead  announced my arrival.

The shop was empty, with a few dim oil lamps casting their flickering glow on the walls. In front of the dusty counter stood a bench, bearing an equally thick layer of dust. The walls were bare and the shelves behind the counter stood empty. I frowned. This was a rather peculiar shop.

The music had stopped playing and it left me wondering where it could have been coming from. There didn't seem to be any other room leading to the shop and no one was around.I squatted and looked around the counter, not surprised  to find another thick layer of dust which rose into the air and tickled my nose.

I dusted my hands, looking disappointed and turned to leave. I was thinking of how much time i had wasted when a voice spoke softly from behind me.

"Leaving so soon?"