Chapter 4:The Puppet's Broken Promise

I was seated once more on the cushions before the fireplace, watching Mr. Strings reel forward a small puppet theater, complete with curtains and a stage. He had insisted that, as his guest, he would treat me to one of his puppets shows. He had chosen a few puppets for his performance, once of which was the Victorian puppet girl: Elizabeth.

Nearly done setting things up, he put his fingers to his lips and whistled. At once, the flock of Jackerays flew down from the rafters and landed on the iron perches above the fireplace, all in a single, graceful swoop. I shifted my gaze to Mr. Strings, who was busy fiddling about at the back of the theatre.

"So, you put on puppet shows?" I asked, hoping to learn more about this mysterious person. "How long have you been doing it?"

"A while." He replied, looking quite pleased with the interest I took in his work. "I have to put all these puppets to some use after all."
"Alright then, if you are ready, shall we begin?"

I nodded, settling back into the cushions and wondering briefly if I should just bolt from the room while I still had the chance.  I really shouldn't be staying there longer than necessary. I had found the source of the music, now it was time to leave.Yet, as I realized, music was not the only thing I found. This strange,enigmatic character came with the haunting music, trailing a mystery behind him, one I found myself drawn to. It was strange how we had only just met and that we were still strangers, yet I appeared more at ease in his company than with anyone before . It was as though we were...friends.

No -ridiculous, you've only just met. I scolded myself, alarmed by the sudden flutter of hope in my heart. It was faint and weak, like a bird that had been caged for too long. I snubbed it, not wishing to get carried away with such pointless fantasies.

I should go. I told myself. I should tell him my parents are waiting for me, and that I'll come another day. I have to go.

But just as this thought crossed my mind it disappeared, dissolving into the depths of my consciousness as, with a click of Mr. String's fingers, the Jackerays began to sing. The eerie melody filled my ears, it's haunting charm encouraging me to abandon all thoughts and turn my attention to the story unfolding before me.

"My dear lady." Mr. Strings started. He stood behind the theater, his face falling into shadows as slowly the oil lamps went out, the only source of light being the fire and, strangely, the theatre itself.

"Mr. Strings' puppet theatre presents; The Broken Promise."

The Jackeray's music shifted in tone, a lighter one that never really lost it's eerie touch. The curtains shifted, the glow of the theatre fixing my eyes to it and refusing to let me tear them away.

Elizabeth the puppet appeared on stage, her movements so carefully conducted it was as though she was a little human. I couldn't even see the strings.

"Our story takes place in a small, far off village." Mr. Strings began, his voice soft, so soft it made you want to lean forward and hang on to every word.

"There was once a sad and lonely girl named Elizabeth. She had no friends and even her own family was not fond of her."
Three other puppet girls appeared on stage, wooden arms moving animatedly as they gossiped amongst themselves. The effect was very realistic and I could have sworn I heard tiny whispers and giggles.

Elizabeth  walked over to the group of puppets. At once, they stopped their chatter and glared at her. They actually glared at her, then turned away and disappeared from the stage. I watched as Elizabeth looked down at her feet, the very picture of dejection. I almost expected tears to spill from her eyes.