12

The weather was chilly and the sun beaming through the curtains didn't fight the cold, but the oversized jacket gifted from Yunho a while back deemed sufficient for Mingi's morning.

The smell of pollock soup filled the air, mixed with kimchi fried rice and, of course, japchae. There was never enough japchae.

It was seven in the morning, the restaurant was closed for the day, and Mingi didn't have to be anywhere until the afternoon.

Yunho was still knocked out from yesterday's emotional ride. It'd do him some good to stay in and rest more before he went back to the fall festivities and his other many hundred responsibilities.

Hence why the Song was in the kitchen cooking breakfast for them. His mother would be out for a while, a well deserved day off.

It was nice and serene, something Mingi hadn't had in a while. But the jingle of the doorknob and the holler of a familiar voice was enough to jump Mingi out of his moment.

"Hyunggg, I'm home!" Mingi turned, watching the giant, albeit being the younger Jeong, jog to him in all his young teenage glory.

"Byungho-ya! Haven't seen you in forever," Mingi cheered, the younger giving him the biggest side hug as he lifted his spatula away to ruffle the boy's hair.

"School's been eating me up and since Yunho hyung's barely home, I'm the one house sitting," Byungho explained, stealing a spoon full of pullock soup only to burn his tongue.

Mingi giggled, handing the younger a glass of water before ushering him to sit down.

"House sitting your own house?"

"At this point it's more of an obligatory stay than a wanting-to-stay-home stay if there's no one else but me at home. Anyways, where's my ghost of a brother?" Byungho sat on the island, some bite in his voice. Mingi turned around, placing a full plate in front of the younger. "Byung," Mingi's voice softened, trying to ease the grudge he could sense off the Jeong.

Byungho knew why his brother always came home late, why he never stayed home longer, why he did what he had to do. But sometimes, he couldn't help but feel the tad bit of resentment due to the fact that his brother wasn't acting like his brother anymore.

"While Casper the ghost is still sleeping, do you wanna talk about it?" Mingi half-heartedly kidded, earning a chuckle. It was safe to say they shared similar sentiments.

"If I spill my brother issues, will you spill your boy issues?" Byungho said slyly, stuffing his face with kimchi fried rice. Mingi had half a mind to give the mini Yunho a good smack to the head.

"As a matter of fact, I will," Mingi pointed his spatula at the latter. Byungho raised his brows, waiting for the boy issues to spill.

Jokes aside, it was nice for the two to catch up. Mingi was like a second brother to Byungho, basically helped raised the kid when no other Jeong could with how busy they all were. Now that he was going to enter high school, he was more independent. So they didn't see each other as much as they used to.

Mingi turned back around to stir his fried rice, "you're always welcomed to hole in here with us, Byung-ah."

"Third wheel you and my brother? No thanks. If he's not here all the time then I'll consider it..."

"This is actually the first time in a while, Yuyu stayed over. He's been-"

"-busy, yeah, I know."

Mingi sighed, empathetically. He wanted to give better advice, something to actually help the younger, but they faced similar matters. Mingi was more accepting and patient, he kept his own emotional duresses inside as much as possible. While Byungho dealt with it a little more head on, he held grudges, he confronted.