✶ 𝗡𝗢𝗧 𝗔𝗥𝗢𝗨𝗡𝗗 / INUMAKI TOGE

SERIES ─ jujutsu kaisen men reactions to making you cry

PAIRING ─ inumaki toge × reader

GENRE ─ fluff, light angst, can be viewed as established relationship or not, curseless au

SYNOPSIS ─ the thought of you not being part of his future didn't even cross toge's mind. you unconsciously give him a reality check.

-',💽ˎˊ˗

it wasn't rare for toge to close his eyes and let his mind wander to the kind of future you two would have. he never considered spending the rest of his life with someone—the logic behind marriage was foreign to him. that was until he met you, of course.

the two of you started off as friends, and even before that, your presence felt somewhat familiar to him. you fit his standards perfectly, and toge knew your qualities were the ones he strived to find in his significant other, (even your flaws, but for now he refused to admit he was down that badly).

and then, one night when he was in the comfort of his bed, it clicked. he was in love with you.

you fit perfectly with each other, so perfectly you'd sometimes joke about the two of you being soulmates until you realized it didn't sound as silly as you thought.

but anyway, you were that couple. the one that wasn't that unexpected, the one everyone talked about, the one who never fought. the epitome of a healthy relationship.

tonight would've certainly shattered the romanticized image all had of you two, had anyone witnessed it.

the crippling tiredness in your body only served as a catalyst for your anger. your whole body was tense and completely conflicting with toge's nonchalant body language.

he wasn't even looking at you! ugh, who had you even been talking to for the past twenty minutes?

"see? that's your problem toge, when you underestimate a situation you don't even try to-"

"aren't you overreacting?"

toge looked away, muttering a small "fuck" when he saw your dumbfounded expression. swiftly, he got up from the couch to grab your hands. that much he was willing to do.

"what i'm trying to say is, you're- we're both tired and maybe we should just go rest and talk about it tomorrow, hm?"

he winced at his own freudian slip. his hands reached for your shoulders, massaging lightly your tense muscles, trying to prevent your mind from overthinking about what he was about to say. "what do you think?"

"you're unbelievable."

and just like that, you were out the door.

so, yeah, that was three days ago and toge hadn't heard from you since then.

and the gods know he was losing his mind.

it felt like he was falling behind in every aspect of life. he couldn't focus in school, karen's had invaded his workplace, and today was the second time he declined maki and megumi's offer to go to the gym.

you needed distance, he got that, but jesus fucking christ, couldn't you at least send him a message to let him know you weren't doing as miserably as he was?

the first day was about reflecting on his actions, where did he go wrong?

the second day was about dissecting the situation and fear and doubts feeding on his sleepless mind.

the third one was all about missed calls.

well, maybe this was the end.

when his friends invaded his place, threatening him with a good time, he knew they wouldn't take no for an answer. so there he was, sitting at a table in his favorite restaurant.

he still recalled the beat of his heart pumping in his ears as he took you there on your first date.

the smell of food and loud chatter of his friends didn't bother him nearly as much as being there without you. it felt somewhat prohibited to be there if you weren't, which was why he kept poking at his food, never daring to take a bite.

what caught him off guard was the sound of your voice amongst all the noise, (don't ask him how he managed to pick that up). and when he turned around, you were there.

you didn't look your best, only dressed in a hoodie and some baggy jeans, your hair loose, and a bag of take-out on it food with the restaurant's logo, but to him, you were the most beautiful girl to exist. no matter what.

the last thing he heard was, who he assumed to be maki, calling his name. next thing he knew everything was quiet. he could see his own breath, the cold air stinging the surface of his skin, and his blood agitatedly pumping in his ears, just like the first time.

it was with hesitance that you turned around after he called your name. there was a tense silence in which toge's mind was processing what to say impossibly fast, to give you one reason not to leave right then.

"wait, i..." come on, just get it out dumbass! "why didn't you call? do you know how worried i was for the past seventy-two hours?"

if he was about to get dumped at least now he'd know why.

for a second he thought you were going to yell at him—you'd be right to do so, even—instead, you just cried. you didn't bother hiding it, toge could see right through you.

before you could open your arms, your lover was already hugging you. "i'm sorry," you spoke amidst your tears. "it was my fault."

but toge was having none of that. tearing up as well, he hugged you tighter. "why do you act like you're the only one with feelings? how do you think i feel?"

"you can't just leave without giving me a chance to apologize. i seriously thought were over this time," he sighed shakily.

"you don't think you can get rid of me that easily, do you?" you attempted to joke, adding a sniffle at the end. you both laughed. all at once, toge's lips were in the corner of yours.

"no way. we're stuck together."