Chapter 1

Belladonna

Grabbing my jacket closer to my chest, I run on the deserted streets of my hometown. I simply ignore the tears rolling down my cheeks even though my eyes are blurry. I keep sobbing until I am standing in front of the huge white colored gate of my parent's house. One of my father's guards opened the gate when he noticed me. After whispering a thank you, I rush inside. I am panting. I knock on the door and wait for someone to open it.

My mother opens the door, and she is whimpering. Without thinking about anything, I hug her tightly and burry my face into her shoulder.

"She's dead." I whisper.

"She left us too soon." She sobs and pulls away from me. Behind her, I spot my father standing. His face is emotionless as usual. Does it make any difference that his daughter is dead? No. He is a heartless person, and he just doesn't care.

"Crying won't bring her back." Father shouts annoyingly as he walks past us.

"You are so mean!" I let out and met his gazes.

"Is this how you talk to your father?"

"Is this how you behave after your daughter has been murdered?" I don't know why, but today I am not scared to argue with him.

"She wasn't murdered! It was an accident."

"That wasn't an accident." I let out a laugh before speaking again, "and I'll prove you right." I rush upstairs without any further arguments.

My sister Abigail died about an hour ago. She was 24 years old and she was supposed to get married next month. It has been eight months since our father introduced her to Damien DeLuca. The son of the DeLuca crime family. Another mafia-of course.

Abigail was quite happy to marry Damien. But even though she was delighted with that marriage proposal, on the other hand, I despise Damien. I think he is a heartless person, just like my father.

The thought that my sister would not be happy after her marriage scared me, that's why I was ready to do anything to stop their wedding.

I was quite close with my sister. We were each other’s best friends. It all happened out of the blue that I barely know how to react.

"Bella." Someone shouts and knocks the door at the same time. I am barely able to walk right now, but I still manage to open the door.

"I am sorry for your loss." Lorenzo says as he steps close to me and holds me. I lost balance and was about to fall back. He brings me to my bed and lay me down.

"You should rest." He was about to leave.

"Lorenzo." I whisper by stopping him. He halts and turns to gaze down at me.

"How did the accident happen?" I question, and he runs his hand through his hair. Lorenzo is Damien's younger brother.

"Her car was hit by a truck."

I sigh, "I somehow believe that it was a murder."

He shakes his head, "No, it wasn't."

Tears well up in my eyes, "You are all lying to me, but I'll find out for sure."

He tsk, "I'll suggest you take care of yourself right now."

"You look pale, and you should probably eat." He adds.

"Yes." I mumble. "Umm, Lorenzo, now that Damien will not marry Abigail, we will not meet again. I guess."

"The wedding will take place." He says with excitement in his eyes. "Same date, same venue and same family." He raises his brows while exchanging looks with me.

"How? Abigail is dead." I shake my head.

"But you are alive." The amusement in his voice sends chill down my spine.

No. This can't be happening.

"Damien was my brother in law." I sit on the bed. I am sweating, and my heart is racing.

"He wasn't married to your sister, so in reality, he was never your brother in law." Lorenzo utters in course voice.

"I will not marry him."

He chuckles, "You don't seem to have a choice."

I will do anything but I will never marry Damien DeLuca. He is a monster and marrying him will never make me happy.