Chapter 2

Belladonna

I am eavesdropping my father talking in the phone in his study room. He was discussing something about my wedding with Damien.

Closing the door of my bedroom I advanced near my closet and I gaze at the suitcase which is kept in the alcove.

I will have to escape from here. I will leave tonight. Grabbing all my significant stuff, I place all in a suitcase and I am not taking too many clothes. Opening my wallet, I count the amount of cash I have and I don't think it will be enough. I will need some money to survive after escaping, and I can't ask Papa. Otherwise, he'll doubt.

After wondering what to do, I finally come up with an idea which I don't know is right or not.

I leave from my bedroom and peek in the corridor. When I don't spot anyone, I rush into Abigail's bedroom and close the door silently behind my back.

I started digging everywhere in her bedroom, and thankfully, I found a stack of cash. There must be around ten thousand dollars, and that will be enough for me right now.

***

It's ten o'clock at night and everybody are in their bedroom. I go outside, and take my car.

Papa's men are gawking at me, but thankfully, they didn't ask me anything.

Michael reaches next to my window, "Where are you going?" He is Papa's right-hand man.

"I am going to meet my best friend and leave her birthday present. There had been a havoc since the past few days, and I think I should meet her. That will make me feel better." I attempt to hide my fear.

Michael nods, "for how long will you be gone?"

"Around one hour and a half."

"Does your father know?"

"Of course he knows." I chuckle and nod my head.

"Okay."

I do a quick prayer that he won't call my father to ask for permission before letting me out of the gate.

They open the gate for me and drive away from the house immediately.

I don’t know how to get to the closest airport, Newark, without the GPS, which means I need to keep my phone on, but that means Papà’s men will be able to track me once they know I’m gone. Shit.

I pull up the maps app, quickly type in my destination, and scan over the route. It’s not too bad. As soon as I get close to the airport, there’ll be signs everywhere. With one final look, I pry open the SIM card compartment and toss the chip out the window. Then I turn off my phone.

My thoughts race as I get onto the highway. I have a short window of time to decide what the hell I should do. Michael will sound the alarm as soon as he realizes I’ve been gone too long. It will be only a matter of time before Papà’s men have me trapped.

If they caught me, they will hand me to Damien and Papà will be the one in charge of my punishment. I squeeze my hands tighter around the wheel. Damien won’t treat me kindly after I tried escaping from him. Papà hates traitors. He won’t show me any mercy.

There are signs for Newark Airport now. 

It’s a good idea to leave the country. Papà’s influence goes far, but he’s not omnipotent.

What am I doing?

Run.

Run and hope they don’t find me.

I get out of the car and take my belongings.  I take my phone out and jog to a nearby garbage can. There’s no way I can keep the device. Even without the SIM card, I’m sure they’ll be able to track me as soon as I turn it back on.

Without wasting another second, I rush inside the airport and buy myself a ticket to the next flight.

Rome. Dubai. Barcelona...

I watch the screen in front of me. Where should I go?

I bought a ticket to Barcelona. The flight is in one hour.

I sit in the hall with my heart racing to death. My eyes are gazing all around the airport, hoping not to see any familiar faces.

It's boarding time. I stand up and start proceeding further.

Someone grabs my arm from behind.

By that moment, I knew I was doomed.