Chapter One

At the sight of the lake, she was quickly reminded of her loneliness. Winter came and lightly frosted the massive estate with snowflakes and icicles. The snow had only just begun so the lake still allowed for the waning sunlight to dance upon it. The sky began to darken to a slate gray as more pallid specks descended from the heavens.

"Do you like the view of the lake, Liana?" The adolescent glanced over to her aunt before continuing to stare out the carriage window. Liana's aunt blinked before she cleared her throat to urge a response. "I believe that question warranted an answer."

"It's lovely, I guess," Liana answered in a disinterested tone. Her aunt sighed as she adjusted the black veil masking her face.

"I come down this way everyday," Liana's aunt explained, "though it seems like the view of the lake is still breathtaking."

"Aunt Darcy," Liana started, then turned to her aunt, "could I skate on the lake?" Aunt Darcy smirked at the question.

"You like ice-skating?" Aunt Darcy asked.

"I never had a chance to try," Liana frowned. "My parents had promised me the chance before..." She never finished the sentence but her aunt knew what she wanted to say.

"You can try but always test the ice before doing so. You never know how thick the ice is and I don't want you to fall in. I'll ask Charles to purchase some skates for you." Liana nodded. Not soon after, the carriage arrived at the entrance of the estate where the two were greeted at the door by a man well in his fifties.

"Welcome home, Madame Atkins," the man said, "I took the liberty of preparing dinner and it will be served promptly at eight. Today, your favorite dish was prepared, considering the circumstances." Aunt Darcy gave a small smile.

"Thank you, Charles. Can you please show Liana to where she would be staying?"

"Of course, Madame," Charles said then turned to Liana. "Miss Liana?" Liana rose her eyebrows in response. He then gestured for her to follow. Charles took Liana up the main staircase and many twists and turns throughout the estate that Liana would quickly and easily get lost trying to find her room. "Your room, Miss Liana," Charles said as he pushed open the bedroom door, revealing the grandiose decor and the stunningly intricate detail on the frame of the bed. "I hope it's to your liking, as the mistress of the house had the room arranged in this manner specifically for you."

"It's fine, Charles," Liana said as she traced her fingertips over the engravings on the bedposts. Charles nodded and closed the bedroom door without another word. Liana sighed then fell onto the bed. The sheets were immediately dampened by tears caused by Liana's sobbing.

The snow was too light for her heavy heart. She expected pouring rain but the temperature dropped lower than expected, creating light flurries instead of the incessant pattering against the window to drown out her increasing heartbeat.

Today was the funeral for William and Lucinda Winters. The death was unexpected for both the sister and the daughter. Liana never expected that when her parents exited out of the front door that morning to go to America that they would never return. It left the poor girl so distraught that today was the first time since she left her room and home, only to know that she will never return to that place again. Today was also the first time the aunt and niece even met. As the only remaining relative to Lucinda and William, Aunt Darcy suddenly became guardian to the seventeen year old girl. The funeral was a quiet event, neither the aunt nor the niece shed a single tear, which shocked those who attended.

"Madame?" Aunt Darcy was pulled out of her thoughts and glanced over to her butler standing in the the doorway. "Dinner is ready."

"I'll take it in the library, Charles," Aunt Darcy said, waving him off to watch the falling snowflakes.

"And Miss Liana?" Charles asked. "Where would she eat?" Aunt Darcy turned towards him and gave him a questioning look.

"The dining room, of course," she answered. Then she lifted up her veil to raise an eyebrow. "Why?"

"Madame, she just watched her parents be buried in the ground," Charles explained, "Please be sympathetic to her situation." Aunt Darcy eyed her servant.

"What about me then, Charles? What about my situation?" Charles smiled.

"Perhaps you will gain some much needed company," and with that, Charles left the room. Aunt Darcy sighed in defeat then continued to watch the snowflakes fall.

Dinner was eaten in silence. The only sound that was made was the sound of scraping silverware. Aunt Darcy glanced up to her niece, who sat opposite to her at the large dining table, and sighed. Liana looked up. She couldn't really see her aunt's face because it was shrouded by the veil. Then she looked over Charles, who stood at Aunt Darcy's right side. Then he coughed, which made both women look up him.

"Charles," Aunt Darcy said slowly, "I want you to go to market tomorrow and see if you can purchase some ice skates. Liana wants to try her hand at it." Charles nodded and left the room.

"Of course, Madame." It was then Liana's turn to sigh.

"What's wrong, Liana?" Aunt Darcy asked. "Is it the food? I told Charles not to put so much salt in it..."

"No, it's...it's fine." Aunt Darcy nodded and continued her meal. Liana reluctantly continued her meal too. She had no stomach for food and didn't know how her aunt did. Right now, she wanted her parents and no one could give them back to them. Aunt Darcy looked up once more to see silent tears run down Liana's face. Aunt Darcy sighed then continued eating.