Chapter Three

A week or so later, the snow finally stopped falling onto the estate. Liana suddenly woke up disoriented from a nightmare. She panted heavily and was profusely sweating. "They truly are dead..." She whispered to herself in tears.

"Miss Liana?" Liana looked over to door then wiped her tears with her sleeve.

"Come in," she answered in a wavering voice. Madeline then walked into the room.

"Ma'am, I've drawn the bath for you." Liana nodded.

"Thank you, Madeline."

In the library, Aunt Darcy was reviewing her literature. She was pretending to read, merely turning the pages. She was lost in her thoughts. Aunt Darcy didn't believe in tears. It made you look weak. She didn't cry at her parents' funeral and she didn't cry at her sister's funeral. Some say she was inhumane as well, simply because Aunt Darcy was so quick to ditch her mourning clothes. Black is such a depressing color and she didn't want to wear it all the time.

"Madame?" Aunt Darcy looked over to the doorway.

"Yes, Charles?"

"Miss Liana will be down for breakfast soon." Aunt Darcy nodded.

"Yes, I know. I'll be there in a moment." Charles nodded then turned to leave. "Oh, and Charles?"

"Yes, Madame?"

"Please...be careful how you come across to any guests." Charles rose an eyebrow.

"What do you mean, Madame?" Aunt Darcy faltered a bit.

"Um, well. You...um..." Charles took a few steps towards Aunt Darcy, towering over her and almost invading her personal space. "Step back!" Aunt Darcy screeched, stepping back herself.

"I stepped closer so I could hear you better, Madame."

"Are you deaf then?" she asked in annoyed tone.

"Old age, Madame," Charles sighed.

"Hmm, right..." Aunt Darcy said skeptically. "Either way, be careful."

"What did they say?"

"Excuse me?"

"What did they say?" Charles repeated. Aunt Darcy hesitated.

"I don't have to tell you anything," Aunt Darcy said defiantly. Charles bowed.

"Of course, Madame. Breakfast will be in the dining room."

"Of course." Aunt Darcy said. Charles left the room and Aunt Darcy shook her head.

Another meal began in silence. Aunt Darcy glanced up to her niece, who was quietly eating. Liana truly had a striking resemblance to her mother, Aunt Darcy thought. Same wavy brown hair and same brown eyes. Same personality as well. Aunt Darcy frowned at this thought but was thankful for the veil covering her face and her expressions.

"Liana, dear," she started, "did you slept well?" Liana looked up. She wanted to say no but she didn't know how her aunt would react to her nightmare. "Liana?"

"It was okay." Aunt Darcy noticed her hesitation but didn't address it. She decided to change the subject.

"It looks like the snow stopped," Aunt Darcy pointed out. "Perhaps you can actually skate today."

"Perhaps." Aunt Darcy's frown deepen at Liana's response.

"Perhaps?" She repeated in confusion then called for Charles. "Charles, please clear the snow so Liana would have a place to skate." Charles bowed.

"Yes, Madame." Liana looked at her aunt, not once having a glimpse of her face. Funny how her mother never mention a sister. Liana had always thought that her mother was an only child, much like herself. She probably never would never known about her if her parents--

Liana started sniffling, trying to hold in the tears. Aunt Darcy watched as she did this. Aunt Darcy then wondered if she was ever like this when her parents died but it was so long ago, she doesn't remember.

"Liana, if you are done eating, you may go." Liana nodded and left the room.

Liana sat on the steps of the estate as she watched Charles push snow. It was really cold outside and Liana didn't know how long it would take for one man to push several feet of snow out of way so she stood up and decided to walk over to the grunting and groaning man.

"Do you need help?" Charles looked at Liana.

"No, Miss Liana," he said in a strained voice, "I have this under control."

"Of course you do," Liana said as she started pushing snow herself. "You're taking too long anyway so if I help, this will be done quicker."

"Of course," Charles agreed. After about ten minutes of pushing snow, Liana got tired of the silence between her and Charles and decided to make idle conversation.

"Are you and Madeline the only servants?"

"I beg your pardon?"

"Are you and Madeline the only servants?" Liana repeated. "I've only seen you and Madeline since I've been here."

"No, there's five of us," Charles said. "There's Madeline, Charlotte, Peter, James, and I. You've actually seen James before because he was the one who brought you here in the carriage."

"I see," Liana said idly.

"We're fewer than the servants you're used to seeing."

"Yes, that's true," Liana agreed. "We had so many, I was sure that I saw a new one everyday." Liana then was sure that she sounded like she was bragging and didn't mean to. "I mean, we did have more."

"Of course, Miss Liana." Charles then went back to pushing snow but Liana wasn't ready to end the conversation just yet.

"Have you always been Aunt Darcy's butler?" Charles paused for a second then continued what he was doing.

"Yes, since she's been here."

"What do you mean by that?" Liana asked.

"I actually used to work for the late Mr. and Mrs. Atkins," Charles explained. "When they passed, the estate was given to Madame Atkins."

"How long has Aunt Darcy lived here then?"

"About ten years or so," Charles guessed. "I don't remember how long exactly."

"I see." Liana hummed in thought. "Well, my mother never mentioned me having an aunt so I never knew Aunt Darcy existed. I wonder why that is..."

"I don't believe your mother and Madame Atkins were ever on good terms, Miss Liana," Charles said.

"What happened?" Liana asked.

"I'm not exactly sure," he sighed. "That might be a question for your aunt to answer." The two finally finished pushing snow, creating a medium sized ring on the lake. "Do enjoy yourself, Miss Liana."

"Thank you, Charles." Liana slowly grazed the ice with her skates. She didn't really know how to skate but she didn't think it was that hard. Well, at least until she fell.

Liana sighed. She picked herself off of the ground and continued skating. Little did Liana know, Aunt Darcy was actually watching her from the window.

"Charles?" Aunt Darcy said quietly before turning around and finding him in the doorway.

"Yes?"

"She looks just like her..." Aunt Darcy said quietly. "It's like her soul is haunting me or something."

"I wouldn't say that," Charles said.

"Well," Aunt Darcy said, "I sometimes wonder why these things always happen to me." Charles bowed his head in acknowledgement then Aunt Darcy left the room.