Chapter Eleven

Liana woke up one morning still furious about the turn of events that occurred last week. If Aunt Darcy even loved her mother at all, she wouldn't have pined over Liana's father. Liana sighed, trying to calm her mind lest a vein pops in her brain. Then she called for Madeline to dress her and went downstairs for breakfast.

When Liana went to the dining room, she was surprised to see that Aunt Darcy wasn't already there. Liana only saw Charles, who was arranging plates and setting the table.

"Good morning, Miss Liana," he said to her a smile.

"Good morning, Charles," Liana greeted back.

"Madame Atkins woke up a bit later this morning so her arrival will be a bit delayed." Liana nodded, though she didn't care what time Aunt Darcy came down to eat.

"So that means that you can answer my question now," Liana said as she sat down at the table.

"I beg your pardon?"

"Remember when I asked you if you loved Aunt Darcy?" Liana asked. "That question still stands." Charles stopped what he was doing and looked at Liana.

"I..." he hesitated, then continued quietly, "Okay, so I do harbor some affection towards Madame Atkins."

"Some?" Liana scoffed then giggled. "That's a severe understatement." Charles sighed.

"Go ahead, Miss Liana. Laugh at my pain..." Liana suddenly stopped giggling.

"I'm sorry," she apologized, "I think it's cute that you like her." Though she seems to be a terrible human being...Liana thought to herself. "Why don't you tell her?" Charles shook his head.

"The world doesn't work that way, Miss Liana."

"What are you talking about? I can tell you from experience that world is in the business of surprising people," Liana said. "Besides, what's the worst that could happen?" Charles then eyed her.

"Unlike you, Miss Liana, I wasn't born rich so many terrible things could happen to me if I were to reveal my love for her. One of them could be getting fired because Madame Atkins is appalled by the fact that a decrepit old man like me would love her and she is so embarrassed because of it and would have to let me go." Liana rose an eyebrow.

"That was an extreme exaggeration."

"Yes," Charles admitted, "but I could still be fired."

"I doubt Aunt Darcy will fire you," Liana reassured.

"Perhaps you're right," Charles sighed.

Then after a few minutes, Aunt Darcy finally entered the dining room. However, Liana noticed Aunt Darcy's attire was slightly different from how Liana was used to seeing her. Instead of her raven black crape ensemble customary for deep-mourning, Aunt Darcy wore a metallic gray outfit with a black coat over it. Liana then noticed that her veil was not attached to a bonnet, but to her golden braided bun but what really threw Liana off was the black veil that normally shrouded Aunt Darcy's face was thinner and lighter so her face was now discernible.

"Good morning, Liana," Aunt Darcy greeted.

"Good morning," Liana replied in a tone that modeled mild contempt. Liana then thought of how much time has past since her parents' funeral. It has only been about two months and it seems, by Aunt Darcy's clothing, that she is in half-mourning, which shouldn't be so because siblings have to remain in deep-mourning for at least six months. Unless, of course, she didn't care about her own sister's death. "Your clothing seems brighter today, Aunt Darcy." Aunt Darcy, who was sipping tea, glance at her niece.

"I can't stand to be in drab colors for so long," Aunt Darcy as she ate her breakfast. "Mourning is just depressing and I hate being depressed so I'm speeding the process along." Liana clenched her fist under the table, out of sight. "I'm sure you would love to wear lilac dresses again, wouldn't you?" Liana thought about it. Since she lived in this estate, Liana hadn't wore a single color outside of the hue of black. Of course, she did miss her colorful dresses, but she miss her parents more.

"Yes, I do want to wear colorful dresses again," Liana finally answered, "but I also believe going against the customs of mourning is disrespectful to the dead." Aunt Darcy stopped the fork that was in transit to her mouth and eyed Liana. She gave Liana an icy stare with her cold blue eyes that felt familiar to Liana, but she didn't know where. Then Aunt Darcy placed the fork on her plate.

"Well, I can't expect you to go against your beliefs," Aunt Darcy began rather coldly, "but I believe I am still entitled to mine." Then she stood up from her chair and looked at Charles. "I will be in the library if I am needed," and with that, Aunt Darcy left the room. Charles looked at Liana, the exit, then back to Liana.

"Miss Liana..." he began hesitantly.

"Yes, Charles?" Liana asked as she ate forkfuls of food from her plate.

"Not to intrude but..."

"If you're asking, you're intruding, Charles," Liana stated.

"What is with your sudden animosity?" Charles asked. Liana paused.

"What animosity?" she asked.

"Towards Madame Atkins," Charles clarified. Liana started to laugh.

"Oh, if only you knew what I knew, the reason would make sense..." Liana said. Charles gave her a confused look.

"What could that be, exactly?" Charles asked.

"What if I told you," Liana began with a malicious smile, "that when Aunt Darcy was my age, she tried to steal my father from my mother the day before their wedding?" Charles stood quiet for a few seconds.

"I wouldn't believe you," he finally said.

"And why not?" Liana asked.

"Because that doesn't sound like your aunt," Charles answered. "I've known her for many years and that doesn't sound like something she would do. Where did you get this information?"

"From a reliable source," Liana said curtly.

"Well," Charles started, "I believe that your 'reliable source' might have distorted some information..."

"My mother's not a liar!" Liana yelled before slapping her hand over her mouth.

"Your mother?" Charles said confused. "How can...?"

"Ignore that little outburst," Liana said as she stood up from the table. "There must be something in the water."