Chapter Fourteen

So that was it. It was the sight of the lake that reminded her of her loneliness.

Liana's eyes widened in shock then narrowed. "Liar," Liana hissed. Aunt Darcy shook her head.

"I'm not lying."

"You're lying!" Liana shouted.

"What reason do I have to lie?" Aunt Darcy yelled back, again in tears. "Why would I lie about something like that?"

"Because you hate my mother!" Liana yelled. Aunt Darcy took a deep breath.

"I've never hated your mother," Aunt Darcy said, lowering her voice slightly, "I never have, I never will. I love your mother just as much as you, probably more. The tears you shed for your mother are nothing compared to the oceans I created for her."

"You're lying," Liana repeated.

"You're so quick to defend your mother but you don't even want to hear the other side of the story?" Aunt Darcy said, "You can't pick and choose which part of the truth you want to hear."

"What could you possibly add that doesn't say that you were wrong?" Liana spat. Aunt Darcy frowned.

"What I will add says that we were both wrong," Aunt Darcy sighed. "The ends doesn't always justify the means, and vice versa."

"What do you mean by that?" Liana asked. Aunt Darcy released another longer sigh.

"I was about your age, Liana," Aunt Darcy explained, "Perhaps even younger. Your mother and I were the best of friends, as was I with your father."

"William, aren't these flowers lovely?" a young Darcy asked.

"Wait," William had said, putting a flower in Darcy's hair, "there, now it looks even lovelier."

"After a while," Aunt Darcy continued, "I did develop some feelings for your father but I never really acted upon them. At least, at the time, I didn't think I did..."

"William, you've been to one of those courting balls, haven't you? Show me one of the dances." William nodded as placed his hand on Darcy's waist and they began to waltz. A young Lucinda then walked in, a book in hand, then stopped immediately when she saw them dancing.

"William," Lucinda called. The two stopped dancing and looked at Lucinda, who tapped her foot in impatience. Darcy, embarrassed, fled the room.

"I felt like I was on air," Aunt Darcy sighed as she reminisced. "I truly loved your father but I found out a bit later that your parents were betrothed and engaged. The day before their wedding day, I decided to talk to William..."

"You called me, Darcelle?" Darcy sat quietly in the empty ballroom then looked up to her soon-to-be brother-in-law.

"I don't believe I've ever been as angry as I am with you right now." William gave a slight chuckle.

"And why is that?"

"You love my sister and I love you." William frowned immediately.

"I see," he idly said.

"Do you understand why I'm angry though?" Darcy asked. "It isn't because I love you, it is because I love my sister more so I refuse to get in the way of her happiness, no matter how much it hurts me. I love you," Darcy repeated, "but not enough to hurt her." William nodded.