Chapter Seven

Liana's smile grew immensely as the sight of her parents filled her sight with tears of joy that dripped down her cheeks.

"Liana, darling?" Her mother said in a tone of worry. "What's wrong?" Liana wiped her tears with the sleeve of her nightgown.

"Nothing!" Liana said a bit too happy. "I'm just so happy!"

"We were only gone for a month or so," her father explained, "but I guess that's long enough for you to miss us." Liana stopped in her tracks. A month. It's been more than a month since Liana's parents died. Did Anaille truly resume her life  as if her parents never died?

"I missed you guys so much," Liana said. "A month was too long."

"Well, we're here now so that's all that matters," Lucinda said with a smile.

"What did you even do while we were gone?" William asked his daughter.

"I..." Liana paused. She doesn't have any recollection what happened here during that month, she only remembered what happened at Aunt Darcy's estate. "I didn't do much," she simply stated, not knowing what else to say. Her mother nodded.

"Well, let us get settled and we'll tell you all about America," her father said as they disappear around the corner.

The family gathered together in their tea parlor as Liana's father began telling their adventure in America. He told Liana of the boat ride and the ocean, the funny sounding Americans, the wide open space, New York itself, and her father swore he saw Thomas Edison though her mother claims it was a common man.

"You all sound like you had fun," Liana said, a bit disappointed that they didn't take her with them but the other part reminded her how they died.

"It's wasn't about fun and games," her mother explained, "but it was nice seeing a new country."

"Perhaps next time will take you with us, Liana," William said with a smile. Liana didn't respond but smiled as her answer.

After lunch, Liana started wandering around her estate, reminiscing. If this was an illusion, Anaille did a really good job. Everything was exact, exactly how it was left. The pictures on the walls, the wood of the banisters, even the tears and worn areas of the wallpaper. An exact replica or perhaps the real thing. It was too surreal, somewhat like a dream for Liana.

"Anaille?" Liana called out, not exactly sure what she was expecting. She swore that was her reflection in the glass but Liana didn't know how to replicate it. In fact, she didn't know how to contact Anaille even to say thank you. Perhaps the lake held the key. Unfortunately, the lake isn't here, it's at Aunt Darcy's estate and there was no chance of getting there from here.

Liana's parents held a welcome home supper and, although it only had the three of them, it was a feast nonetheless. All of Liana's favorite dishes, along with her parents' favorites, were scattered in mass array across the dining table.

"Mother, you can't possibly expect me to eat all of this!" Liana said incredulously. Her mother laughed.

"No, but I know you'll try," Lucinda said with a smile.

"You're like a gluttonous rabbit," her father added as he chewed on some mutton, "though you seem smaller now. Did you stop eating when we left?"

"I..." Liana couldn't give an answer. She did, after they died. She couldn't stomach the food she loved so much. It simply infuriated her when Aunt Darcy would eat and eat and eat while she couldn't do the same. She truly wanted to eat but her heart wouldn't let her.

"Don't ask her such questions, William," Liana's mother intervened. "Let's just enjoy the food we have in front of us, okay?" Liana and her father nodded in agreement and started eating. The food was much better than anything she ever tasted and food choices seemed infinite. There was delicious mutton, appetizing pork, mouthwatering beef, delectable soufflé, creamy clam chowder, savory chicken soup, buttery rolls, succulent winter fruits and vegetables, and so many other scrumptious possibilities that Liana could barely fathom. She was in a glutton's paradise. It was practically impossible for her to ignore anyone of these glorious foods. So she ate. And ate. And ate.

"I'm glad you're enjoying the food, Liana," her father said, acting no better as he stuffed more food in his mouth.

"You both are quite silly," Liana's mother with a hint of seriousness in voice though she laughed.

"No one else is here, Lucy," her father said. "You can pig out if you like."

"I'm sorry I don't want to eat like a pig," Lucinda said, losing all signs of seriousness in her tone.

"You should enjoy it now," William goaded. "Winter will end soon and you'll no longer have your winter favorites. Speaking of which," he turned to Liana, "we promised to take you ice skating."

"We still have an issue," Lucinda reminded. "We don't have a lake. None of our friends have a lake. Winter is ending so we would have to go find one that's still frozen..."

"Aunt Darcy has a lake," Liana blurted out. Suddenly the dining room fell deathly silent.

"Who told you about Darcelle?" Lucinda asked in a way that sounded like she was barking a command. Liana froze in fear. She had forgot that Aunt Darcy was never mentioned to her while she lived with her parents. Now she feared the response her mother had. Liana's mother was usually calm so she wasn't expecting such an hostile response.

"Probably in the market," her father covered as if he knew something Liana didn't.

"The market?" Lucinda repeated in skepticism. "Liana doesn't go to the market. The servants do."

"From the servants, then."

"I don't talk to the servants," Liana idly added.

"Then where did you hear such silly information?" Lucinda pressed.

"I mean, it's not silly," Liana said defensively. "It can't be silly if it's a real person. You basically confirmed it." Lucinda frowned and stood up from her chair.

"Liana, answer the question."

"I..."

"Lucinda, please," William intervened, "let us enjoy our meal. You can ask questions about Darcy tomorrow." Lucinda sighed and slowly sat back down in her chair. Then William continued, "Although it's not a bad idea to ask her to use her lake..."

"Then you ask her," Lucinda huffed, crossing her arms. "She's more likely to respond to you..."

"But she's your bloody sister!" Lucinda then snapped her head toward Liana, frightening her out a little bit.

"Liana," she began in an intimidating voice, "do you truly want to go ice skating?"

"I, uh..." Well, considering that she almost drowned the last time Liana went ice skating, the most logical response would be 'no', right? Contrary to that, Liana was fairly interested in the dynamic between her mother and Aunt Darcy. She actually wanted see how they react and respond to each other. "Yes, I would like to." To that, Lucinda sighed in defeat.

"Fine," Lucinda said, "I write to her tonight."

"Then we can go ice skating," William added with a smile. Liana smiled as well.
That night, Liana slept peacefully for the first time in a month. She didn't have nightmares, she didn't relieve the funeral, she just slept and dreamed of things that made her smile.