Her Name

I didn't sleep well that night. While I had been told the rules, about The Glade and the people within, I still had a hard time trying to accept that no one would bother me. For the most part, most seemed nice and sincere, but despite that, I still wanted to avoid everyone just in case.

I stared up at the sky until I heard someone moving near me. Footsteps thudded softly on the dewy morning grass, quietly creeping up on me.

Without hesitation, I sat straight up.

Alby held his chest and put his hand against a tree to stabilize himself. It was a very "pearl clutching" gesture which vaguely reminded me of someone that I couldn't quite remember.

"God, Greenie, I about klunked my pants."

Beside him, Newt stood silently wheezing with laughter.

"Sorry, we came to get you for the tour," Newt said, straightening up.

I raised my eyebrow.

"Right," Alby said. "Here, while I have no doubt you could take both of us in a fight, something to even the odds. I just hope you're not homicidal."

He dropped something on the ground and nudged it towards me with his foot. He then backed away and let me grab it. As I grabbed it, I almost cut my hand on the sharpened blade before realizing what it was.

"A knife?"

"Yeah, if you feel uncomfortable with anyone, while we don't condone violence, we do want you to feel safe. Just in case. But with how badly bruised Gally is, I seriously doubt you'd need it," Newt said with a smirk.

"We're gonna make sure no one forgets their place," Alby said kindly but with lethal seriousness that comforted me.

I looked down at the little knife in my hand, while it wasn't much, it did a lot to reassure me. At the very least, Newt and Alby would look out for me.

"Thanks," I whispered before standing.

"On with the tour?" Newt asked.

"Lead the way, good sir," I said, in a posher version of his accent.

I clapped my hand over my mouth and let out a giggle. A sound that seemed to surprise both of the two and also myself.

"Sorry, no idea where that came from."

Alby began to laugh.

"I think you're gonna get along great here."

-

"And last but certainly not least, Frypan," Alby said at the end of the tour.

"He's our cook, the best around. As well as the only cook around," Newt replied.

"Well I would hope, with a name like 'Frypan,'" I slammed my mouth shut.

What had gotten into me? I was giving lip everywhere I went; was I always like this? Sadness panged through me at the thought, the thought of maybe never knowing who I was before I had ended up in the Glade.

"Well, she's something," Frypan said good humoredly.

"She'll keep you on your toes, that's for sure. Well, Gally at least," Alby said looking down at his watch. "I'd better get going."

He looked pointedly at Newt and Newt nodded.

"So, it's true? You laid him out flat? Wish I could do that, what a slinthead. Never happy with what I make," Frypan rolled his eyes.

"I suppose I did," I blushed, not used to the attention I was being given.

"Nice," Frypan said with admiration.

"So, Fry, is it alright if we start her here today?" Newt asked.

"Why not, I could use a hand," Frypan returned to what he was cooking. "You running today, Newt?"

Newt shook his head, his hair flopping around.

"Not today, Minho and the others can cover it."

I dimly began to wonder what they meant by "running," while I had seen Newt coming in through those big openings in the wall, at the time I hadn't really put much stock into them. Why on earth would they need to be running? Where were they running to?

Frypan nodded before turning his attention to me, "Over here, Greenie. Let's get cooking."

Hesitantly, I went to his side.

"Chopping onions, can you handle that?"

I nodded, I had no idea if I could or not, but I would definitely give it my all.

"Get to it," Frypan crossed his arms and waited, staring at me like a hawk.

"He will micromanage you," Newt said, leaning against the counter.

"I noticed," I blinked up at the very large boy, "How about, you show me how you want it done first. I prefer to differ to the expert."

"Huh, good that," Frypan took the knife and cut the onion. He was so quick; my eyes almost couldn't follow what he was going. Within the span of a few seconds, the onion was cut and Frypan turned to me, "You got that?"

"Sir, yes sir." I said, making a wayward salute.

Behind me, Newt snorted.

I looked down at the onion and began to cut it. When I was done, I looked up at Frypan. He looked at me with satisfaction and in a moment, I realized I had gained the respect of a new friend.

"I dunno Fry, think she did it faster," Newt called out behind me.

"You might be right, nice to have a competent Greenie, for once. I need a few more, thanks," he turned away from me and returned to what he had been doing, happy to know that I would have no trouble getting the onions done.

I nodded and turned back to my onions.

While I worked, Newt and Frypan chatted about something that I didn't much care to listen to. I was too deep in my own thoughts when suddenly, I remembered.

"Ow!" I cried, after slicing my finger.

Both Frypan and Newt jumped at my interruption. After seeing the blood dripping from my hand, Frypan sprang into action.

"You alright, Greenie?" Frypan asked, pressing a cloth to my finger. I could see the blood welling through the cloth. My heartbeat thudded in the tip of my finger, but I didn't care. I could have sliced off my finger and it wouldn't have dampened my spirits. Because I had remembered, I still couldn't remember my past, or my family. Hell, I couldn't even remember the last meal I had eaten before being sent up in that damn box. But I could remember my name, and in that moment, that was all that mattered.

I laughed, which may have come off as slightly hysterical, "Yeah, I'm fine. It's Marie, by the way."

"Well, ain't it nice to meet you, Marie. Just wish you hadn't made such a mess over my onions," Frypan said, still holding the towel over my hand.

"C'mon, let's get you to the Med-Jacks. Later Fry," Newt said, ushering me along. After we were out of the makeshift kitchen, Newt looked me over. "You're a bloody odd one. Just sliced open your finger and you're grinning like an idiot."

"I remember my name," I said, proving his point by maintaining my idiotic grin. "Marie," I let the syllables run over my tongue. It felt comfortable and familiar, moreover, it felt right.

Newt shook his head in astonishment, "Yeah, well, I suppose it's a nice name. Fits you. Don't think I've seen any Greenie quite so excited but... then again, I think you may be one of a kind."

I blush spread its way up my neck and I sincerely hoped he didn't notice, "What? You weren't excited when you found out you were named after a lizard?"

My joke had the desired effect, because he started laughing. It wasn't a loud laugh, but a quiet, breathless one. His shoulders shook as he led the way up the hill towards a small hut on the outskirts of the encampment. I wasn't sure what the future held for me, but I knew two things; I knew my name and I knew that I wanted nothing more than to make Newt laugh as much as I could.

First Light- Maze Runner (OC/Newt)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara