The Fall

The day dragged before me in endless boredom. Clint and I mostly sat around, playing games with homemade cards. One of us would occasionally get up and organize the shelves, sweep, or make the beds, but otherwise, no one darkened the doorstep.

I looked down at my watch, which was one of the few perks of being a Runner. Half an hour until the doors shut. Half an hour until the doors closed, and Newt still hadn't come to see me. I chewed on my lip nervously. Sure, could he be hanging out in the woods and just be chilling away from everyone? Sure, it could happen, but it was unlikely. He wouldn't be avoiding me, especially if he knew I wanted to talk to him. Finally, I resolved to do something.

"I'll be back, feminine hygiene stuff," I said, abruptly standing and making my way out of the hut.

Clint visibly balked at that and waved me off. It was a comfort to know that Clint was CLEARLY unperturbed by female anatomy. Heaven, forbid I have any problems, lord know I would not be going to the Med-Jacks unless it was an emergency in the strictest sense of the word.

I was full of energy from a day of basically doing nothing. I bounded to the gap in the wall where I had watched Newt go that morning. I looked down the long corridor of the Maze, hoping I would see him running down it towards me.

I looked down at my watch again.

He's not late, I told myself, but something still gnawed at the pit of my stomach. Something was terribly wrong.

"Marie, what are you doing?" Alby asked, spooking me out of my thoughts.

"Nothing I-" I waved my hand vaguely at the Maze.

"Staring off into space? Because it really doesn't seem like you're taking care of 'feminine hygiene stuff,'' he said in air quotes.

Damn, I'd been caught in my lie. Before supper, Alby usually did rounds to each job, just to check on everyone, I must have just missed him. "Yeah, sorry. You'll probably think it's stupid but I'm worried about Newt. He came to see me this morning and something just seemed... off," I finished lamely.

He inclined his head at me, "Off how?" His dark eyes were thoughtful as he stared down at me.

"I dunno! He wouldn't meet my eyes and it sounded- it sounded like he was saying goodbye. He was going on about how I livened up the place and I was a good friend. Then he gave me a hug and- I'm just worried. I didn't think much of it at the time, but he's still not back," at this point I was verging on hysterical, which would really not be helpful if I wasn't actually imagining things.

"Steady, Marie," Alby said, his hands on my shoulders. "We can't help him if our heads aren't on straight."

I hitched in a calming breath. My hands shook but the feeling of dread didn't go away.

"We need to wait till a Runner comes back. Minho should be back-"

I cut him off quickly, "I'm a Runner, we can-"

"You're a part-time Runner Marie, that's not the same thing."

"Alby! It doesn't matter! I've studied all the patterns. If we wait until they come back, it'll be too late."

Without another moment of hesitation, I took off into the Maze, and could only hope that Alby would follow me. As I ran, I heard the steady footsteps beside me and was only marginally comforted by the fact that he was with me.

"He didn't leave any vines," I mumbled under my breath, more to myself than to Alby.

"What?" Alby puffed.

"He didn't cut any vines, there's no way we can know where he went." I looked down at my watch, only fifteen minutes until the doors closed. Fifteen more minutes before we would be stuck in here with the Grievers.