Broken Bones

My ankle was swollen beyond belief, but it was nothing in comparison to Newt's leg. Fortunately for him, he was unconscious when they set it. Unfortunately for him, the Med-Jacks had no idea how to set a bone, especially one that was sticking out of the skin.

The blood pooled on the cot. He couldn't have had much blood left, who knows how long he had been bleeding for. Who knows how long he had been laying there.

"It's not gonna heal properly, we have no way of seeing anything," I heard Clint tell Alby.

"Just try your best," he said quietly, looking at the fallen Runner.

"I don't think he's gonna be able to run anymore," Clint whispered furiously.

"I'll just be happy if he can walk. Do your best. Please," Alby said, turning away from his friend.

I stood in the corner of the hut, leaning heavily against the wall. It had taken up the last of my energy to haul myself up the hill towards the hut. At this point, I was running on fumes.

"You alright?" he asked.

I sniffed slightly. I looked over the too-still body of my friend before turning back to Alby.

"Not really," I laughed. If I didn't laugh, I was sure I'd cry. I might have done either, if I was being totally honest with myself.

"You hurt your ankle," he stated, looking down at the ankle I wasn't putting any pressure on.

"It's fine," I muttered weakly. "I'll just wrap it."

Alby sighed, "Sit down."

"Alby, it's fine, really I-"

"I can't have both of you completely out of commission. If you don't take care of yourself right now, it'll never get better," he cut in.

I hobbled over to a cot and gingerly sat. The day had gone from shitty to hellish in less than an hour. As I sat, the adrenaline began to wear off and I was left feeling a whole lot of pain and feeling slightly sick.

"Lay down," he said sternly.

I sighed and did as I was told. I wouldn't have put it past him to tie me down to the bed if I didn't listen to him, not that I was inclined to disobey at the moment.

Slowly, he pulled my boot off. As soon as the boot was off, the pain doubled. Bile rose in my throat, who knew spraining an ankle could hurt like a bitch.

With deftness that I would have never expected, he quickly wrapped my ankle and sat my foot on a pile of pillows. Alby's hands were so gentle that I could barely feel them as he had worked.

"I was the first one here, you know that? In the past year, I've had to bandage up more people than I ever thought possible."

"Were you here by yourself?"

He nodded.

"He was pretty soon after," he moved his head towards Newt. "He always had a rough time, we all did, but he hates it more than most, until more recently I expect."

"Do you ever wonder-"

"I try not to," he said.

"I didn't even finish," I said with a weak chuckle.

"You were asking if I wonder what life was like before. I used to, but for whatever reason, we're in here now. No point idling in the past, what we can't remember isn't gonna help us get out of here."

"Did you ever try to..." I trailed off. He seemed to immediately know what I was thinking of, despite me not saying anything.

"I thought about it. Then the others showed up, I had to step up. Couldn't see their leader go weak in the knees."