Suspicions

One Month Later

I watched as the new boy ran across the Glade. It had only been a few seconds after they had pulled him out of the Box before he took off. The dark-haired boy was only a streak of blue making its way through the tall grass of the Glade.

He'd be a runner, I thought to myself until the boy tripped and nearly flipped over himself. Oh yeah, he'd be one with a lot of questions. If I was lucky, whoever intercepted him first, would get the brunt of his questions.

While I knew that the Greenie would be a boy, part of me was always very upset. There was a kind of loneliness that filled me, there were just some things you couldn't talk to the guys about. I loved them all like we were family, but sometimes it would be nice to have a girl friend.

A scream from inside the Med-Jack hut roused me out of my thoughts.

Right, Ben.

One of us had to be watching him non-stop since the Changing had started, I was already failing my one job. I turned around to see him writhing on the cot, black veins ebbing and flowing through his body. Globs of spit flew out of his mouth as his body geared up to scream again. His eyes were ringed with red but were rolled into his head.

I went to the shelf and grabbed a sedative, the veins weren't hard to find, being black. Before the drug could take hold, Ben let out one last scream before sinking deeper into whatever they dreamed of after being stung. I began contemplating putting something in his mouth to stop him from screaming when someone entered the room

"What the hell are you doing in here? You're going to scare off the Greenie," Newt said as he limped into the room.

"He's out cold now. I'll give him something in a few hours. Besides, I think the guy won't be too phased by this," I waved towards Ben.

"Hhmm," Newt hummed noncommittally, not really looking at where I was pointing.

I wiped the spit off of Ben's face.

"He Runner material?" I asked, knowing the answer full well.

"You saw him?" Newt said, his face lighting up.

I sat down on a chair beside the bed and nodded, "He wasn't even out for two seconds before he took off."

"Give you a run for your money," he joked.

"I should get extra points because I did it with flair."

Newt ignored the joke and stared out the front door, watching the Greenie. I stared at him; his face was filled with admiration mixed with something else. Interest?

Something in my gut turned sour. Was I jealous?

I shook my head at the thought, even if I were, it didn't matter.

"Oh God, what now?" Newt whined before jogging off.

Near one of the doors, a scuffle had broken out. Gally and the Greenie were clearly exchanging some choice words. It looked like the Greenie had tried to run out and Gally had blocked him, of course, using more force than was necessary.

A few more words were shouted before the doors slid shut with their booming thud.

I seriously doubted that Gally had needed to throw the poor new guy but it seemed like, since the Changing, Gally had been ready to fight anyone.

The group had dispersed, leaving only the new guy and Chuck. I looked out at the pair, hopefully, Chuck would get all the questions and the new guy would leave me alone.

~~~

"Can I talk to you? Later tonight?" Gally asked me as he passed me a drink. The smell of the drink was much more strong than usual, making me fear for my life.