PART 1: PROLOGUE

The wind howled in the small city that reflected in the moonlight of the autumn day. It was no longer August, with its balmy days that seemed so short now that winter was coming. Children had played in the street only in their breeches during the sweet season of summer which was always too short.

A large ship was to arrive in the colourful city of Etheria. It was a small secluded island untouched by any of the other nations since the War of the Seven Nations. On it would be the harvest from another kingdom renowned for its agriculture background. However, all was not at ease. A civil war commenced in October three years prior, after Alexander Dimont announced he would create an empire to eradicate the magic people he called 'inbred scum.' Of course such a declaration did not go well with the public eye: riots broke out in the streets. Entire movements rebelled against this frightening new idea for when people fear something, they make it their goal to destroy it.

"The quay is being surveyed by the finest men from each legion. They are armed with swords forged in the east of Aevuhan that are able to cut through people like paper." Sergeant Victorino stood before Alexander Dimont, his hand on his breast at all times- a sign of respect when speaking to the Emperor.

"Are you blind, Victorino? I know not why they hate me so. They call me treacherous when I sit on my throne. Slurs are thrown at me just for stepping onto my balcony. As a king I do not feel safe. Rebels are dedicating their life to ending my regime. Orphanages have been set alight as a sign of power. O tell me, Victorino, do I really want to fight against these people?" Alexander Dimont looked much older since the public had seen him last. For three months he had been confined in his palace. Fear had overcome him like a plague. Wispy facial hair once was what set him apart from the other rulers; now his beard was an inch above his shoulders. In addition to this, dark circles the colour of violets cast themselves beneath his almond eyes inherited by his father.

"Do not be afraid, we are closing in on the rebel groups. For the meantime, I suggest we may close the city walls to ensure these thugs do not escape us. I must say ,Your Majesty,such long periods of time in this palace doth not good to your conscience. I know not if you realise it but you have become rude as a matter of fact. I have only one response to your rudeness and that is you cannot hide in these walls forever. Sooner rather than later you will face your deepest fears."

"O' Sergeant, I do not like to admit it but you are indeed correct. If I want to maintain my grasp on this kingdom I need to win the people over. My long days in this building have only caused me woe! I weep each day and wipe my tears aways with comforting lies able to sustain my happiness. Misery hath consumed me though, like a lion eats its prey. Tomorrow I shall visit the capital of Etheria in an attempt to mask my doubts."

And the following day, Alexander Dimont did just that. At dawn he awoke, for Etheria was split into two parts and it took a lifetime to get from one part to the other. A long river separated both sides and even by crossing the bridge it would still take hours to get from one side to the other.

The Emperor's servants made him wear various different garments from all over the kingdom made by weavers in the north. He wore several different layers, each made from a different material. Jewellery was to be worn on every inch of his body according to his tailor: metal rings and golden necklaces seemed to weigh him down. Like the cherry on top of a cake, his golden crown rested above his large head.

"I must say, is this really necessary? All these items just seem to imply I am flaunting my money at them, like it is a cruel jest or jape. It is a virtue to be truthful, Darios and in my eyes it does not appear you are making me look like that. They hath been lied to: my apology will just anger them even more. I shalt not do it!" The future ruler of Aevuhan protested. Darios only stared at him blankly before being dismissed.