Part 1: CHAPTER ONE

Estella Arkov stared Death straight in the eyes. She forced the blade into Sergeant Victorino's chest and laughed as his body crashed to the floor. The man had been the Emperor's loyal military general, at least, that was before Estella killed him. Victorino had collaborated with the Emperor and other fiends to produce the Aevuhan Charter.

"He deserved what was coming to him. It was not vengeance; it was justice. Victorino will not be the first or the last to die for our cause. Now, we need to meet the others at the camp," Her allies gaped at her when they saw the corpse beneath Estella's feet. The girl noticed almost immediately and then kicked it into the ocean,"Come on. Have none of you ever seen a dead body before? Get a fucking grip you bags of bones. If you are going to be in this team, I need you to act like soldiers instead of infants. Is that clear?"

"Yes, Estella!" The other members of the Jade Snakes all shouted in unison. Estella smirked when she heard them. At least they have spirit. We are going to need that soon. The girl thought as she led them towards the camp that was holding two thousand magic people prisoner.

The Jade Snakes marched to the gates of the building in one great big line at least a mile long. One by one they got into position. All of the Jade Snakes stood as still as statues until Estella gave the command.

"Usually, a leader gives a speech to prepare their troops for the horrors to come. So in traditional fashion, I shall do just that. The people that fight here today fight not because they want to, but because it is a necessity! These scum work for the Emperor who is to blame for all of this! People are dying in camps like these, every day! He has oppressed us, abolished our rights. Today shall mark history for we will no longer be the oppressed. That will be the Emperor's job. Now that you have broken the shackles from yourselves, break it from other peoples."

Estella led them to battle with her signature weapon of choice- a sword taken from Sergeant Victorino's body after she killed him. The blade was relatively clean other than a few splatters of blood. It will not matter. This sword shall be drowning in blood soon enough.

The soldiers all followed behind her as she vaulted the high fences that surrounded the camp. It was too tall to jump over so she climbed over it. Eventually she ended up exactly where she wanted. The Serpent of the South attacked the Emperor's guards, each of her snakes locking on to them. There was a cacophony of cries and screams as iron clashed against iron. This was exactly what the warrior had expected to happen when she marched to the camp with her enormous army.

"Where do you think you are going? The Emperor warned us to look out for you. He laughed when we said we could take you although he will not be laughing when I bring him your head!" The Sargi swung an axe at her that was twice the length of her sword. "Victorino expected you to come here and so did we."

"He will not be laughing when I bring him yours." When the man attacked again, Estella blocked it with her sword. He pressed the axe down firmly, forcing Estella's blade down onto herself. "Victorino is dead. I gutted him like a fish and like a fish, his body now swims in the ocean. And that will be the last thing you know before you die."

Estella spun and sliced the man's head off. The blood from it covered her already dirty hands. Every time her sword had blood on it, so did her hands. Her fingernails were now dirty, coated with the thick red substance. The head made a sound as it hit the floor and then, Estella went to attack her next opponent. The Sargi she now fought was six feet tall with two swords in his bulky hands.

"Estella Arkov. So the tales I heard about you really are true. You have killed many of my friends but you will not kill me. I am the Butcher of Lununquet Lane! Your soldiers can be crushed by my own two feet! They are feeble in their fighting as they are in their mind. And you are no leader! A leader does not lead their soldiers to die!" The Butcher sliced through Estella's knee using one of the blades to do so. It cut through the flesh. The Serpent of the South moaned.

"They call you a butcher but the only thing about to be butchered is you. I am the Serpent of the South, and snakes have very dangerous venom." At the speed of light, the Butcher blocked Estella's attack on him. He kicked her in the ribs and followed her as she tried to crawl away.

"Where are you going, serpent? The butchering has only just begun. I cannot let my prey get away that easily. It would not make the game fun for any of us. Look around you. Your soldiers are slowly being outnumbered, and once I kill you, they will have no choice but to run away. For when a leader falls, so do the people they lead." The Butcher started swinging his sharp knife at her. It was a knife used for cutting meat not for fighting in battle.

Estella limped as she slowly managed to get up. Her thigh was in agony from where the blade had sliced straight through it. It was a miracle she could even stand. I cannot let him get me anywhere else, else I will lose too much blood. I have to think strategically. His words are right. I cannot let myself die for then my army will too. It is all up to me.

"Do your best!" The girl mustered all of the strength that still remained inside of her and clutched her blade. "Once I send you to the Underworld, you can say hello to all of your friends!"

Using her agility, Estella sliced the Butcher with her blade right in the jaw. She had aimed for the throat: it was the easiest way to kill them usually- except the Butcher was no ordinary opponent. He was more experienced than anyone the Jade Snakes had ever fought. Even that attack unphased him.

"What a terrible attempt! You only scratched me a bit on my jaw! Even getting pinched hurts more than that, serpent! Has anyone even taught you how to use a sword? Here, let me show you!" Before Estella could even move away, the Butcher of Lununquet Lane attacked yet again. There was no time for the poor girl to even react. The blow landed at her other leg. It may have hurt her but at least it gave her something to work with. He is aiming for my legs. If he lands another blow on each of them, I will collapse. I just need to keep moving.

"I can beat you. I know what you are trying to do. Your plan will fail. I may have been weakened by your first attack; that does not mean I cannot win against you at all. I was only ill-prepared for it. Now, I think you should prepare, for Death is about to knock on your door!" He blocked the attack with one sword, and with the other one, aimed for her legs again.

Estella knew better than to let the same mistake happen twice, so in a final act of self defence, kicked her opponent in his stomach. Then, the girl charged at him with her blade and thrust it upward. She aimed for his neck but the weapon's destination ended up being the floor. The Butcher threw it right out of her delicate hands.

"I will kill you with my own bare hands, whore!" A punch landed smack into the Serpent of the South's jaw. It was like being hit by a blacksmith's hammer. The man grabbed her head with his hands that were twice the size of it. "I can crush your skull right now. That would be mercy. Unfortunately, the Emperor wants you alive. If I deliver him your corpse he would not be best pleased. Instead, I shall give him the next best thing- a version of you so frail that if I touched you all of your bones would shatter!" He cackled like an old hag.

Estella accepted her fate. Her bruised body could not take another punch from him. There was no choice: she had to let him take her to the Emperor. The Butcher escorted her to a dingy little omnibus where a driver waited inside. All of the years she had escaped the Empire- yet now it was finally Estella's conclusion. As soon as she walked inside of that palace, the girl would be killed.

"Estella!" One of the Jade Snakes shouted. "You cannot leave us to fight them off! They are too powerful. They knew we were coming here. Please, reconsider this!"

"I have no choice. I am sorry. It is not ideal for me either. Keep the rebellion going strong. Never give up your hope, no matter what anyone tells you. Tell the Jade Snakes Estella Arkov is dead. Make sure when you see the others to tell them I said goodbye. This is Estella Arkov signing out."

She stepped inside of the carriage. The Butcher was waiting for her, with a wide grin on his face. At least he would not be the one to kill her. The Emperor was about to meet Estella Arkov for the first time ever, however, it would possibly also be the very last time.