Part One Chapter 3

Lord Curtis Kannervi found it difficult not to sob when he read the list of names. All of them had been killed. The camp had been massacred by an unknown magical user. The Emperor was equally as emotional when he heard the news about it.

"The whole camp was just completely destroyed. I sent some scouts there and they told me that nobody was left alive. He said all of them were covered in blood. The building was set alight though so there is nothing but ash left. Who do you think it was, Your Majesty?"

"I would place my money on Estella Arkov, yet this is dark even for her. Her Jade Snake rebellion people would not massacre people they could recruit. And did you say that the Commander was included in this list of names?"

"Yes sir. You must consider replacing him then for if things like this are going on we need a strong military. War could brew, Your Majesty if word of this event breaks out. Sergeant Victorino was found murdered too. We need to find out who is behind this attack immediately!" Lord Kannervi had been infuriated by the murders. It had been so unexpected.

"There is no evidence other than the fact it was on fire. Whoever did this could conjure flames, meaning it could only be a magic user. I have two people working against me: Estella and this mysterious magician. If Victorino was found dead then it means someone is trying to get rid of my leaders. They want to replace them. It seems Estella has inspired them all. They fight against my empire now. "The Emperor sank his head into his hands.

"Riots could break out. I will go to Khavat. There is no choice. The armies must be ready. Two government officials being murdered tells us that we need to enforce punishment on Aevuhan. While I head to Khavat, I will find you a sufficient royal advisor. Thank you for having me, Your Majesty and may the Empire live on during these tumultuous times." Both of them bowed to each other and then the meeting was over.

***

Khavat was a horrible place. Most people residing there lived in small slums that made the air reek. Everyone in the streets would try to sell you something or steal something. For a self righteous royal, it was like being in the camps. He wore a brown hood over his head in the hopes none of the locals would recognise him. If they did, he would walk out of the city with no money left. Already, even as he walked through the city gates, he saw someone getting mugged. I must not do anything for I have sworn a promise to the Emperor. Many promises came with being one of the Emperor's men. Oaths had been sworn, lives had been endangered. Would he do it again? Of course he would.

Lord Kannervi stepped into where the leader of Khavat spent his days. The nervous look on his face made him appear as if he was severely ill to Curtis Kannervi. Then, the real leader of the province stepped into the room. King Krazenchi was the one bowing to Desmond Denton. Desmond was a very dangerous man. He led the Chaosguard, arguably the most dangerous mafia there was. The Chaosguard was the reason Khavat was so deprived of resources. Desmond and the Chaosguard stripped everything from the locals. Markets were set ablaze if they did not pay him when he wanted money. And now, Curtis Kannervi was in a room with snakes. He dropped something into Denton's glass as he walked past. After all, he needed some venom for himself.

"Mr Denton, the Empire requests that the armies in each province need to be formed. He sent me here, to Khavat, to build an army. War is brewing, Mr Denton. People like you look for opportunities to get money whenever they can. This war will have some losses. You can set up an organisation that charges people if they want to be cured. Do whatever the fuck you want as long as it is legal and does not involve me."

"You do not get to speak to me like that. I run this city. Without it, the slums would be even worse and the streets would be so rife with thieves nobody would feel safe enough to walk in them. I understand that you may not agree with my profession, and that's fine, but don't you dare say I am a bad person. All this blood on my hands is for them. I do this for them. So you cannot have your armies for I do not want them dying for nothing. Get out of here before I get my men to cut you to pieces and give you to the butchers." Desmond Denton was even more ruthless than they had described.