002 - smart

TUESDAY, MAY TWELFTH, 1965

Caterina woke up to her brother throwing a pillow on her, which she didn't think was a very nice way to wake up.

"Rina, wake up! If you make me late again I swear to god.." Calogero muttered.

"Get out, idiot!" She yelled, throwing the pillow back at him as he walked out the room.

She rubbed her eyes that were still trying to adjust to the light. Stupid, she thought, while rolling out of bed.

Caterina picked out the first clothes she saw in her closet, which happened to be a white shirt and pink skirt. She usually liked to dress up a little more, but she didn't have much time.

She ran downstairs after quickly brushing her hair and teeth and saying goodbye to her mother. "Love you, Mama!" She shouted while grabbing a piece of toast.

Calogero was standing on the porch steps while tapping his foot on the ground. "Finally," he scoffed. Caterina ignored him.

On their walk to school, Caterina and Calogero happened to see a couple of other boys that went to the same school as them. Rina didn't know them, though. She just had a few classes with two of them. But Calogero seemed to know them.

"Hey, guys!" He shouted.

The boys looked up from the side walk and waved.

Calogero pulled on Caterina's arm and said, "C'mon let's cross the street."

Even though she didn't really want to, she did it anyway, because she didn't want her brother to have a big fit.

"Hey, what you guys doin'?" He asked.

"Nothin' much. Just walkin to school." One of them said. Caterina didn't know that one.

"Who's that?" He asked.

"Just some weirdo," Calogero said, laughing. The other guy laughed along with him, and they started their own conversation.

The two other boys that were there were the ones Caterina had some classes with. She couldn't quite remember their names, though.

"Hi," one of them said, quietly. Rina smiled and muttered a small "Hey."

"What's your name?"

"Caterina Anello."

"I ain't ever heard that name before."

"It's Italian," she laughed. "What about you?"

"Johnny Cade. We got some classes together, don't we?"

Caterina nodded before turning to the other boy. "What's your name?"

He made a face before responding. "Ponyboy Curtis."

Rina smiled, "That's a nice name."

He smiled sheepishly and gave a 'thank you.'

"How old are you? You look a little young to be goin' to high school." She asked

"Fourteen. I got pushed up a grade."

"Oh, you must be really smart."

Ponyboy blushed slightly and said, "I guess so. I get pretty good grades."

Rina laughed. "Gosh, you have talent. So, how do you guys know my brother?"

"We're buddies, I guess." Ponyboy said. Caterina nodded and pursed her lips together.

The three were quiet for a moment, then Johnny asked her, "Where are you from? You gotta accent."

"I'm from New York, the Bronx. Is my accent really that bad?"

Johnny smiled. "Nah, it ain't. I got a buddy from New York, so I can tell."

By then the five kids had arrived to the school. Calogero said bye to Caterina and ran off to whatever class he had. His other friend that Rina didn't know the name of said bye to Ponyboy and Johnny and walked away. Caterina, Ponyboy, and Johnny all had first period together.

When they walked into first period, which was math, they went to their seats. Caterina and Ponyboy sat in the back while Johnny sat a seat in front of them.

After the bell rung the teacher began to talk about the lesson. "Hello, class. Today we'll be learning some more geometry, so please open your textbooks to page eighty-two."

Caterina did as told and followed along with the lesson. She tried her best to pay attention and do the work, but with a class like the one she had, you could hardly focus.

GABI SPEAKS!
okayyy this chapter is not too short!!
this is not edited btw so i'm sorry if there is spelling errors 😓
also she met some of the boys 👏 we're making progress