004 - pepsi cola

WEDNESDAY, MAY TWENTIETH, 1965

When the bell rung and signaled that it was time for lunch, Caterina rushed out the classroom as quick as possible.

It was a Wednesday. She usually ate lunch with her friend, Lisa Jane Wyatt, but she wasn't at school today, so Rina would most likely end up eating by herself outside. She didn't like to eat in the cafeteria.

That was until Johnny Cade and Ponyboy Curtis came up to her. "Hey, we're going to DX. Wanna come?" Ponyboy said.

"Sure. Is Calogero going?" She asked.

"I think so. He's with our other buddy, Two-Bit."

Caterina didn't question what kind of name that was, and just shrugged as she began to walk with them to the gasoline station.

Around two minutes later, Calogero and the boy Caterina assumed to be Two-Bit, joined them.

"Hello m'lady. Who might you be?" Two-Bit asked.

Is he drunk? Was Rina's immediate first thought the second he came near her. He reeked of alcohol, and clearly didn't remember her. She just hoped Calogero wasn't drunk too.

"I'm Caterina, Calogero's sister." She said.

"C's sister? Well now, I didn't know he had a sister." He said.

Caterina mentally rolled her eyes at the fact he called her brother C. Instead, she just smiled and continued to walk.

When the five kids reached the gas station the bell chimed as they walked inside.

"Hey, whatcha guys doing here?" The boy behind the counter said.

"Hey Soda." Ponyboy said. Johnny gave a slight nod.

"Soda, you got some cigarettes to spare?" Two-Bit asked.

"Yeah, just don't tell the boss man." Soda said, handing him the pack.

Soda looked in Caterina and Calogero's direction. "Hey C," Soda paused, look over to Caterina, "What's your name?"

Caterina was beginning to wonder how many friends Calogero hade made.

"I'm Caterina, Calogero's sister." She said.

"Nice to meet ya, I'm Sodapop Curtis."

He was clearly very perky and enthusiastic, but Caterina thought it was cute.

She smiled at him. "I didn't know Ponyboy had a brother."

Ponyboy sighed loudly. "Yup, two. The other one can't stand me, though."

"Oh c'mon Pony, you know that's not true." Johnny said.

"Yeah, whatever Johnny."

It was clearly a touchy subject for Pony so Caterina wouldn't question it. Instead, she went to go look for something to eat. She settled with a Pepsi-Cola and a bag of chips. As she sent them on the counter and looked for her change, Sodapop stopped her.

"Oh, this one's on the house," he said.

Rina smiled but said, "It's okay, I can pay for it."

Soda didn't seem to take no for an answer. "Don't worry about it. You're new to town, it's the least I can do."

"Thanks."

"So, how are you liking it here so far?" He asked.

"It's alright, I made a couple friends. C seemed to have made a lot though." She laughed.

"Yeah. You're from New York, right?"

"Yup, the Bronx."

"Cool. Hey, I got a buddy from New York. Maybe you know him."

"Maybe. New York's a big place."

"You and C should meet em' sometime."

"Sure," she smiled.

"Rina, I'm not gonna be home tonight, so don't wait for me," Calogero walked up to her.

"Alright. Hey, I'm gonna get going to back to school, anyone wanna come?" Caterina asked.

The boys all stood and didn't make any motion indicating they were going with her, so she grabbed her stuff so she could walk back to school.

"Bye Sodapop, nice to meet you."