What is "Independence" supposed to mean ?

Independence, if we abide by the dictionary, means that when we can function on our own. It is a state where someone else is not controlling you.

When a country or a society gains "Independence", it is hoped that that the country is able to function in the hands of their own people. When it is not controlled by the foreign people or the unwanted and destructive influence they bring along. But hey! I am currently writing in a language that is neither my mother tongue nor is it one of the 1599 languages the people of my country speak. While you are reading this, thousands of Indians are shamed for not being able to speak proper English. Of course it is necessary to learn a language that is universally accepted but why should it turn into a matter of pride and shame? And why should it be so invading that it degrades the importance and value of one's mother tongue? Is it not a shame? Is this what you call "Independence"?

A person only becomes truly "independent" when he/she knows their own good. But did India understand her own good? Did she ever ? The then leaders shamelessly looked at the floor when India was mercilessly partitioned. The partition left such a scar that it still bleeds. No, it does not bleed silently. The whole world laughs at her scars now. This what "Freedom" cost her.