Part 2

Jhanak paced in her room lifelessly, hating the silence of the house. Hating that she was left to her thoughts now with nothing to do.

She much preferred being given chores all day as that meant her mind did not have the time to ponder over her life.

The basus were all at a wedding and she had been left alone in the house.

Not without questions though. No she wasn't that lucky, and she would have been stupid to expect otherwise

"Aye ladki!" The usual call laced with contempt and disgust rang out, and Jhanak looked up from the chore she was doing then.

Placing the washrag down, she walked cautiously to the living room where the entire family was present.

A quick scan of the room told her sir ji wasn't here - and frankly she didn't care.

Taking a deep breath, she turned to face the family, readying herself for whatever was going to be thrown her way, "ji?"

"We are all going for a wedding tonight - we'll be back in 2 days. Take care of the house, understand?" Tanuja ma'am bit out

She nodded, "ji.ji" she muttered, nodding her head.

"What ji. Kaki ma, I bet this girl is thinking she has won the lottery. We were going to send you away for the next 2 days"

Really?

"But Ani convinced us that you should earn what we are giving you. Thoda sa kaam Kiya aur itne bade Ghar mein aaram se reh hai ho"

Jhanak wasn't really paying attention to anything beyond the first line.

So this was sir ji's new way of torturing her.

"Don't think we trust you enough to leave this house at your care. We don't. And don't think this is your chance"

She didn't understand what Bipasha ma'am was saying.

"Listen. All our valuables are in lockers and they are very safe. Don't try anything smart"

Her eyes widened in disbelief - they thought she would steal?

But before she could answer Chotton spoke up for her, "Bipasha, Jhanak would never -"

"Chotton, har jagah apna naakh ghusana zaroori Nahi hai"

The disappointment at being treated this way was visible on Chotton's.

Eager to stop this from escalating further, Jhanak quickly spoke up, "sir.ma'am, I'll take care of the house" she said looking at them,"and ma'am" she turned to Bipasha now, who was scowling at her, "I won't try taking anything. I don't want to spend my life in jail"

She hoped that the tinge of sarcasm she had tried to keep away from her voice wasn't too evident as she had lied

She would absolutely, very happily spend her life in jail.

Anywhere but here.

Maybe she should try stealing.

"Look at that attitude - you should be thankful we put a roof above your head and -"

Her patience was running thin, and she figured it would be best for everyone if she put an end to this, "thank you" she said curtly, "sir, ma'am if there's nothing more, I have to go - bahut kaam hai Mujhe aur agar lunch mein Kuch gadbad ho Jaye toh Aap sab ghussa ho Jayenge"