Part 5

The rays of the early morning sun filtered in through the gap in the parted curtains of the room.

Jhanak's eyes fluttered open. It wasn't that she was asleep anyway - by now she was used to waking up very early -  otherwise she would be faced with taunts and questions on being late to do her chores.

Stifling a yawn, she stretched her hands above her head, as the room was cast in a warm glow of the morning sun.

"Morning"

Her eyes shot open and she sat up with a jolt, her mind taking a few seconds to bring her to speed of her situation right now.

Oh right!

"G-good morning, sir ji" she mumbled back, raising her eyes to look at him.

He raised his brow at her, a smirk gracing his lips, "not the morning person, are you?!

Before she could answer, he went on, "neither am I, but sleeping on this sofa is terrible"

Anirudh bit his lip, regretting the words he had said immediately - Jhanak's face fell and a melancholic expression settled in her eyes. Now she was going to try to fight his help ever more - it had already been so hard to barely convince her.

Stupid!

"But I'm not leaving until I can find a nurse for you, so don't try" he said hurriedly, shaking his head.

She narrowed her eyes at him and opened her mouth to argue, but seemed to think against it and closed her mouth quickly,

Happy that she wasn't arguing him first thing in the morning, Anirudh went on, "Good. I'm going to go freshen up. But I'll be right back. If you need anything at all, call me, ok?"

Satisfied with her begrudging nod, Anirudh turned to the door. He had just reached her door, when he turned to face her again, "Jhanak, where's your phone? You'll need your phone"

Oh shit!

Jhanak bit her lip, maybe she should have fought sir ji when he offered to help - now what was she going to say?

Realising she had nothing to say, she averted her gaze from his, making sure to look anywhere but him.

"Jhanak, where is your phone?" He repeated again, this time stressing on each of the words more.

"I don't need a phone. Mujhe kis kaam Ka" she tried vaguely, still not looking at him.

There was an exasperated sigh, "ab kaam hai na, don't waste my time and tell me where the phone is"

"I won't need you urgently sir ji. I'm ok, Aap jaiye"

"Jhanak"

That was a warning. He was annoyed. She could tell that without even looking at his face. She could tell that from his tone. From the way he said her name.

Now she was noting how he said her name?

Realising that she had absolutely no way out of this, she lowered her voice to an unintelligible mumble, "itswithmimi"

"What?"

"Nothing"

Anirudh could not believe what he was hearing - he heard her alright, he just couldn't believe it.

He closed the distance between the door and the bed in three long strides. Beyond irritated that she still wasnt looking at him, he plonked down on the bed near her feet, and grabbed her hand.

That snapped her eyes back at him, and there was fear in them.

Muttering a mental expletive at himself,  he released her hand, looking into her eyes, he asked, "please tell me my sister did not take your gifts from you".