Part 6

Jhanak wrung her hands together - it had been almost 15 minutes since sir ji had left to Mimi's room. He probably thought she did not care about the gifts she had received.

She still remembered the day she had performed on stage - how alive she had felt doing that. The thunderous applause, the happiness that had spread through her, reviving her. And she had received that trophy and a hamper - she had been elated.

Then they had come back, and Mimi had taken all her gifts from the event, including her trophy - she had been very sad, she just did not want any further troubles for herself, so she had let go.

She had quickly learnt that the best thing she could do for herself was not to expect anything and accept everything the Bose's threw her way. So when the Bose's youngest daughter had taken away all the symbols of her success, she told herself that it was because it didn't belong to her - neither the success nor the gifts.

A lone tear slid down her cheek and she wiped it off, " That's right, Jhanak" she told herself, knowing fully well that the walls she had put around herself was the only thing which stopped her from crumbling, " You're an orphan, the daughter of a maid. All you need to exist is food, shelter and clothes which the Boses give you - you don't need anything else"

Anirudh froze outside Jhanak's room - her sullen voice and the words she had just said falling like hammers to his heart. The empty hamper and the trophy in hands felt suddenly immeasurably heavy, and he leaned on the wall for support.

Exist - that was all she was doing now - that was all she wanted to do - just exist.

An uncomfortable weight settled in his chest, and Anirudh had to blink to push away the tears that were quelling in his eyes.

What was he doing?

Not enough.

His lifted the trophy, his eyes falling to the empty space in the trophy where Jhanak's name plate should have been.

He looked at the empty hamper, with the torn envelopes which should have had all the vouchers he had put in, and her words reverberated in his ears again

"You're an orphan, the daughter of a maid. All you need to exist is food, shelter and clothes which the Boses give you - you don't need anything else"

His heart clenched with each syllable his mind recalled, stabbing his conscience. How had he been blind to the pain in her eyes? No, he hadn't been blind, he had convinced himself that he was doing the right thing by telling her to ignore the taunts and insults so that she could focus on her studies, and eventually ensure a good life for herself.

But he should have known better.

He should have known that what she had been subject to in this house had stripped her of her own dreams, aspirations and desires - and he had been party to it.

His eyes dropped to the void where her name plate should have been in the trophy, and he just could not shake off the sinking feeling of disappointment - with himself.

Damn it!

It wasn't just about the trophy and the vouchers; it was the blatant disregard for her as a human being in the Bose house.

But not anymore. Putting the trophy down inside the hamper, he shifted it to one hand while pulling out his phone with the other.

Strengthened by resolve to do the right thing, the right way, he texted Chotton, turning to his uncle as he always had when he needed support and guidance

*****

Jhanak glanced at the closed door - deciding she could not wait any longer, she pushed the covers down and tried to move her legs off the bed slowly, her ankle throbbing with even a small movement.