[one]: Happy birthday?

A/N: I hope you enjoyed the prologue! :D Now here's the real story...

--

Dune groaned in his bed. It's a Saturday... What does mom want?

His mother was yelling at him to... go downstairs or something.

There's no school... Today's the 6th of June... Wait... June 6th... That's my birthday! Dune sat up, startled at what he just remembered. Wow, classic me. Forgetting my birthday.

Dune ran to his wardrobe. He took off his blue, plain pajamas, and threw on a black hoodie, worn-out jeans, and some white socks. His messy black hair needed brushing.

Running downstairs, Dune noticed the smell of burnt pancakes wafting in the air. Damn it, mom probably tried to cook. Again.

Dune's mother was terrible at cooking. However, she often tried. And always failed.

Oh well, at least I can eat, Dune thought. Some people don't even have a roof over their heads.

"Come here, honey! I made a chocolate cake!" Dune's mother shouted.

"Got it, Mom, coming...!" Dune answered. He skipped down the stairs. God damn, it smells like something died in here.

"Happy birthday!" Dune's mother grinned. "Your father will be joining us as soon as his work allows him."

"... Okay," Dune muttered, even though he knew that his father never came back to the house except at 2:00 a.m. and the occasional 3:00. His work never "allowed" him to.

Dune's father was an ER Doctor, or whatever it was called. Dune couldn't bother to remember everything that happened in the emergency room. A 10-year-old who accidentally shot himself with his father's (technically illegal) gun? So what?

Dune's family moved to California when Dune was 11 years old. Three years ago, from Ontario, Canada.

"Here!" Dune's mother (A/N: I'll just call her Elizabeth from now on) handed Dune a piece of burnt toast.

"...um, is this supposed to be chocolate cake?" Dune asked.

"Yeah! Why?" Elizabeth seemed so excited that Dune didn't want to disappoint her.

"Oh, heh heh, thanks..." Dune said nervously. He then took a bite.

And threw up all over the floor.

--

TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES, YOU WILL RETURN TO THE STORY IN A MOMENT

--

"Thanks for... that... amazing... c-cake, Mom," Dune forced himself to choke out the words. "It was... truly... f-fantastic!"

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. Both Dune and Elizabeth turned to the door. Dune's father, John, burst in.

"How're you doing, Dune?" John beamed. He was still dressed in his work outfit. Then, he looked at the plate in the middle of the table and frowned. "I see you've eaten without me."

"Sorry, Dad," Dune looked away, slightly guilty. "But it was just so... good!"

"Doesn't matter. Time to wish you a happy birthday!" John's frown turned into another shiny grin.

"Happy birthday to youuuu~ Happy birthdayyy to youuuuuuu~ Happy birrthhhhdayyyy dear Duneeeee~ Happy birthday to youuuuuu~!" John and Elizabeth sang in unison. "Are you 1! Are you 2! Are you 3! Are you 4! Are you 5! Are you 6! Are you 7! Are you 8! Are you 9! Are you 10! Are you 11! Are you 12! Are you 13! Are you 14-"

"STOP!" Dune yelled, smiling so wide his mouth hurt.

"Make a wish!" Elizabeth urged.

"On a non-existent cake," John muttered, sulking.

I wish... that I could have fun, and play a... I dunno, game I guess, for the rest of my life. Dune wished.

Then the walls started crumbling.

--

Word count: 539