[three] legal guardian

A/N: is this good so far? tell me any ideas you have! :D

--

Dune was released from the hospital 3 days later. John and Elizabeth had both... perished in the collapse of their house.

Dune was now seated in the back of Paige's Honda. They had just flown back to Canada and were heading to Paige's residence: A 5-story apartment with tons of cranky neighbors.

In one week, Dune's entire life had changed.

For the next 2 weeks, Paige tended to me, bought Dune food, and was overall really nice.

However, after those 2 weeks, Paige made Dune feel unwanted and oppressed him.

"Shut up, Dune," Paige would sneer, "go do whatever you 14-year-olds do." She'd then proceed to roll her eyes at him.

I'm stupid, and so, so dumb! Damn it! Dune growled. Well, Aunt Paige is technically my legal guardian now... but still... There's a way to get adopted by someone else, right? I'd rather not spend my entire life with this woman.

Then, one night, Paige led Dune into one of the rooms in the basement. "Here's your birthday present!" She squealed, excited, as if she hadn't been cruel to Dune for the last few months.

"But my birthday's in June? It's only October right now," Dune pointed out.

"No, your 14th birthday. Here! It's a... brand new VR set just for you!"

Dune tried it on and took it back off. "Pretty good. Where'd you get this, Aunt Paige?" He asked.

"From... a place... called... Glitch Co.," Paige answered, hesitating. "Yeah! You can play with it for a while! Once you're ready to start the actual game, you have to press this button on the headset." She demonstrated but didn't actually press the button. "And you have to lay down here." She gestured to a bed that looked like the bed dentists used for children.

"Okay!" Dune was excited to try the game. He layed down and pressed the button.

And immediately regretted it.

--

Word count: 314