30. Guest Speaker

A/N: Kinda a filler chapter with a little less drama. It's just to set up what's going to happen in the next one. I'll try to publish it soon after this so y'all aren't left hanging.

~*~

Ryan slid into the seat next to me just as the classroom buzz began to settle, his gaze locked on mine with an intensity that cut through the chatter. "Have you ended things with that asshole?" he asked, skipping the pleasantries.

I offered a wry smile. "Good morning to you too, Ryan."

But he wasn't in the mood for humor. His eyes, earnest and probing, sought the truth about Dominic and me.

With a hesitant nod, I recalled the harsh finality of my words to Dominic, how he had ignored me and forced me into his closet where he cornered me, the vice-like grip on my throat. Dominic had gone as far as to make me strip down to my boxers in front of Lily, his twisted way of claiming victory after my apology. And his final threat echoed in my ears—he'd rather see me dead than with Ryan. Despite it all, I had stood firm, and we were over. He said we'd talk about it later, but there had been nothing but silence since then. I figured the gravity of his actions were finally dawning on him, and he realized how much he had fucked up.

"Yeah, we're done," I affirmed, my voice steadier than I felt. Ryan studied my face, searching for the lie he suspected.

"And he just... let you go?" Concern laced his tone, his protective instincts at the forefront.

Dominic's version of 'letting go' was far from gentle, but I had managed. "Things are fine," I said with a casual shrug, hoping to ease his worries. His eyes narrowed, not quite convinced, but I pressed on. "Really, they're done. Don't worry about it."

He gave a small nod, hoping I was being honest. "Can I come over tomorrow night? Or you can come to my place. Let's smoke," he proposed.

"Well, I have some Awolnation tickets because Lily is opening for them tomorrow night. But I don't think I'll go," I said, considering just blowing off the concert. It was rare to go to one of Lily's events without Dominic trying something with me. Best thing I could do was stay home and avoid him altogether.

But then Ryan's eyes lit up when I mentioned the tickets. "Awolnation? Dude, take me!" he exclaimed.

"I'll just give the tickets to you, and you can bring Rosie with you," I suggested, happy for the excuse not to go.

Ryan's face fell slightly. "Rosie won't be able to go. Pleeeeaaase, just go with me," he pleaded, his pout in full effect. "Us bros."

I considered his request, realizing that bringing Ryan along could be a clever solution. If I stuck close to him throughout the concert, Dominic would be forced to keep his creepy infatuation at bay. It might just be the best way to avoid his unwanted advances. Dominic wouldn't be thrilled, but he would have to deal with it.

"Okay," I agreed, a grin spreading across my face. Ryan's eyes sparkled with excitement.

"Hell yeah, bro!" he exclaimed, fist-pumping the air. "We can smoke after the concert. Or before!"

I nodded in agreement as Ryan and I solidified our plans, quietly chatting throughout the remainder of the lecture. When class finally ended, Ryan turned to me, asking if I had any plans for the next hour.

I shook my head, intrigued by the strange look on his face. "You know I don't," I replied, my interest piqued.

There was about an hour before we planned to head to work together. The plan was for me to catch a ride with Ryan, and I suddenly recalled how parasitic Dominic thought of me. My stomach churned at the reminder.