Chapter 04: Depression Starts Here

While traveling to the rendezvous point, wild pals attacked indiscriminately and randomly. Rhea and the others were initially riddled with fear but quickly learned they were much safer with Aims, their new captive than they would've been otherwise. He had introduced himself along the way, and he and his pals seemed capable of fulfilling their mission. They were sure they'd make it safely to wherever they were headed. Rhea just held onto hope that it would be an improvement on

The group walked in a formation. Everyone had been shackled together and forced to walk in a straight line and commanded not to speak or else the threat of being thrown into a pal sphere. It seemed like everyone loved to threaten others with that.

Aims led the front of the group with his seemingly favored Mau by his side, the same Mau who pulled the coins into the cave earlier. The other Mau that had been summoned brought up the rear. Together, the two Mau worked in tandem to thwart oncoming attacks.

Rhea had to admit it was beautiful to watch how well the Pals worked together and with little direction from blank. The male Mau worked to defend the group from whatever attacks came their way, while the female hunted down every Pal she could until the groups gave up and scurried away.

The group walked until the sun began to go down, and they eventually arrived at an abandoned campsite. There were stacks of logs for firewood and plenty of places to sit around cooking pots. Near the campfires were a few hay beds for sleeping, and the general feel of the area was that it was relatively safe.

Upon arriving, many prisoners could be seen eyeballing the cooking pots and hay beds. Rhea realized she was one of the newer captives and wondered how long it had been for some of them to have a good meal and night's rest. Although she was new to the island, she, too, wanted to take things easy for a while, if possible.

Just then, Aims broke away from the pack and laid down on one of the hay beds near a fire. The way he plopped down so nonchalantly looked like he had been here before and was terribly comfortable.

"Alright. Make yourselves comfortable. We're waiting for the boss here, and if you behave well enough, I might even take your chains off."

He seems pretty lax. Does he mean that, though? Would he risk any of us running away just because we showed some good behavior?

"So, we can talk now?"

In fear of being captured by a possible Palsphere, the group hadn't spoken a word since leaving Mr. Black's cave. It wasn't as if they had much to talk about. Most of the people looked as if they'd accepted their fates and were waiting for the worst news possible. This made Rhea wonder why Talt was different from the rest.

Why was he still so seemingly upbeat about things? Hopeful even.

"I never told you that you couldn't. I thought it was weird of you all to stay quiet the entire time we walked. I don't happen to bite...unless there's food around."

Large sighs of relief could be heard from the group as they began whispering to one another about various things.

"Wait a second...Aren't you taking us to the Rayne Tower?" Talt interrupted, breaking the murmurs. "I heard someone mention Lady Zoey's name earlier, but the tower is in the other direction..."

"Who's Zoey?"

Rhea was probably the only person there who didn't know, so she asked.

"She's the leader of the Rayne Syndicate Alliance," Talt replied. "I figured if we were being sold to them, we'd meet her at the tower she's always guarding. Seriously, she never leaves the place."

"You're right about that. She does not leave that tower. A real Rapunzel...except she's not trapped. She chooses to be there."

"Well then, he's right. If she's supposed to be our new boss-."