Chapter 06: The Pain of Following Orders

~ Rhea's Palsphere ~

Rhea couldn't sense much beyond her own thoughts and what felt like floating in an eternal darkness. She recalled being captured by Cast, but hadn't quite figured out what had happened to her since then.

This must be what it's like to be inside a Palsphere. It's so...quiet, and somewhat peaceful, but I can imagine myself going crazy in this silence.

Rhea floated along in the nothingness for a while half wishing she had someone to talk to. The only reason she didn't want someone there is because she was ashamed and embarrassed by everything that had happened to her since waking up on the Palpagos islands.

She had really allowed herself to think that she would be able to shape some bright future on these unknown islands, but she didn't have any control over her life. There was so much happening on the islands before she arrived that she got swept into things she had no business being a part of.

She should've been more cautious. She should've stayed back and watched things from a distance collecting information and resources.

It's moments like these that reminded her of her father's words.

The world ain't for you to trust, it's for you to experience and learn from. Take your time with it.

Wait! My father!?

Rhea was able to remember her father scolding her for being out too late one night. If she had her physical body, she would've shed a tear having remembered someone so important. This was the first concrete memory she had recovered since coming to the islands, and she would cherish it as a treasure, but why did it come to her in this moment?

Is it a coincidence, or is the sphere helping me recover from the memory fog?

She asked the question, but was met with nothing but silence. She had forgotten that she was alone, again, and faced the silence once more.

I wonder when I'll be let out of this thing. It's so quiet...

"It's as quiet as you want it to be." Said a voice.

Who's there?! Shouldn't I be alone?

Alone is such a subjective thought, don't ya think?

No, it's not. Alone is alone. There's no in between.

Is it? When are you ever really alone?

I'm alone all the time! I was alone when I woke up on this island.

That's the most untrue thing you could ever say. You're never alone, but it makes sense that you wouldn't know.

Know what?

Rhea's frustration was mounting due to always being in the dark about things.

Look, I've had enough of meeting people on this strange island just to find myself in a worse situation.

Oh, don't worry. I don't mean you any harm, and I know that after what you've gone through in such a short time, that may be hard for you to trust.