When The Girl Turns

I wished I could do anything to cheer Harper up, so I invited her to go get a milkshake.
Surprisingly she agreed. I guess she had to take her mind of things.

We walked to the Shake Parlour in silence. I stole glances at her face, she was staring at the pavement.
When we got there, there was a perky female waitress who showed us to a booth.
"what can I get for y'all?" She flipped open a little notepad.
I scanned the menu "I'll just take a strawberry cheesecake shake"
She jotted down my order and turned to Harper "you?"

Harper just sat glumly, staring at the menu. I quickly stepped in "We'll have two of the same"

The waitress walked away and I sighed in relief. The whole Parlour was packed with people chatting away, so no need to be worried about volume.

"Why'd you bring me here?" Harper muttered.
"I just wanted to take your mind off Tilda..."
Harper nodded. Our shakes arrived and we drank in silence.

"Thanks"
I looked up in suprise "huh?"
"Thanks" Harper repeated. She was staring directly into my eyes. I paused "For taking you here?"

"For keeping me from thinking of Tilda"
I blink "Uh..that's ok?"

We finished our shakes and wandered back to the dorm. I saw Harper looking at me from the corner of my vision.

When we got back, I changed into an oversized sweater and some sweatpants and flicked on Netflix. I scrolled through the endless options.

After a while I settled on Stranger Things and started season 3.
Harper came and sat next to me, like, really close.
I ignored it, but couldn't stop wondering why.