The Present Perfect

The air on Saturday hung heavy with anticipation as Arisa found herself caught in the web of contemplation. The weight of Thyme's faltering words echoed in her mind, creating ripples of uncertainty. She stood before the mirror, her reflection mirroring the conflict within her.

With a hesitant breath, she approached her dad, who lounged in the living room, engrossed in the weekend show. "Dad," she began, the words tiptoeing out of her, "what would you do if someone you don't exactly like asks you to meet them suddenly?"

Her dad's eyes shifted from the television to her, a knowing glint in them. He offered a thoughtful smile, the corners of his lips curving with paternal warmth. "Well, Arisa," he started, his voice a gentle cadence, "if you sense that they might be in need of some help, it wouldn't hurt to go. You never know what battles others are fighting."

Arisa absorbed the advice, her mind a whirlwind of conflicting thoughts. She considered the possibility that Thyme, despite his confident exterior, might be wrestling with his own struggles. The image of his uncertain expression replayed in her mind, tugging at the strings of empathy within her.

With a determined resolve, Arisa stood before her closet, the array of clothes unfolding like a kaleidoscope of choices. Her fingers trailed over the fabrics, each one holding a story of its own. 

After a moment's hesitation, her hand found its way to a simple yet elegant ensemble. She slipped into a soft, cream-coloured blouse, its delicate fabric cascading over her frame like a gentle whisper. Paired with a tailored pair of jeans, the outfit exuded an effortless charm, a reflection of Arisa's understated elegance.

As she fastened the buttons of her blouse, her gaze drifted to the mirror, where her reflection stared back with a sense of quiet determination. With deliberate care, she reached for the bow her dad had gifted her, its vibrant hue a beacon of hope amidst the uncertainty. Placing it delicately in her hair, she felt a surge of comfort wash over her, as if her dad's love and support encircled her like a warm embrace.

With a final glance in the mirror, Arisa straightened her posture, her eyes alight with a newfound resolve.

  ₓ˚. ୭ ˚○◦˚.˚◦○˚ ୧ .˚ₓ ₓ˚. ୭ ˚○◦˚.˚◦○˚ ୧ .˚ₓₓ˚. ୭ ˚○◦˚.˚◦○˚ ୧ .˚ₓₓ˚. ୭ ˚○◦˚.˚ 

The gloomy overcast sky seemed to mirror the uncertainty within Arisa as she stepped out of her house. Dark clouds loomed overhead, casting a shadow on the world below. The air was heavy with the promise of rain, a fitting backdrop for the tumultuous thoughts racing through her mind.

Hustling down the familiar path, Arisa made her way to the bus stop, the rhythmic pitter-patter of raindrops accompanying her every step. A quick glance at her phone revealed 1:05 pm, and a fleeting sense of guilt tugged at her. Yet, she reasoned with herself – Thyme had been abrupt, distant even, in the video message. He hadn't asked her face-to-face, and the lack of formality gave her a sense of justification for her tardiness.

As she boarded the bus, the first droplets of rain began to fall, a gentle precursor to the impending storm. Arisa found a seat by the window, her gaze fixated on the blurred city-scape as rain streaked down the glass. The rhythmic drumming of rain against the roof of the bus provided a soothing backdrop. Arisa's thoughts lingered on Thyme's awkward plea, his faltering words replaying in her mind. 

ₓ˚. ୭ ˚○◦˚.˚◦○˚ ୧ .˚ₓ ₓ˚. ୭ ˚○◦˚.˚◦○˚ ୧ .˚ₓₓ˚. ୭ ˚○◦˚.˚◦○˚ ୧ .˚ₓₓ˚. ୭ ˚○◦˚.˚ 

The rain beat down on Arisa's umbrella with relentless fervour, as she stepped off the bus. Each raindrop felt like a percussion in a symphony of urgency, urging her forward toward the looming clock tower in the distance.