The Chessboard

The sun cast long shadows across the quiet neighbourhood as Thyme walked Arisa home, the golden light painting everything in warm hues. Their footsteps echoed softly against the pavement, the only sound in the quiet evening air.

As they approached Arisa's house, a figure emerged from the shadows of the porch. It was her father, Mr. Chirawit, his expression unreadable in the fading light. Arisa's heart skipped a beat as she realised he had seen her with Thyme.

"Who's your friend, Arisa?" Mr. Chirawit's voice was calm but firm, his eyes shifting from his daughter to Thyme.

Thyme stepped forward, his posture confident but respectful. "I'm Thyme, sir. Arisa's boyfriend."

Arisa held her breath, her eyes wide with surprise at Thyme's bold declaration. She watched as her father's gaze softened slightly, though a hint of scepticism remained.

"Thyme, is it?" Mr. Chirawit's voice was measured as he gestured for Thyme to come inside. "Come on in, Mr Boyfriend"

As they entered the house, Arisa felt a knot of nerves twist in her stomach. She tried to ease the tension with a lighthearted joke, but her father's stern expression made it clear that this was no laughing matter.

"Dad, don't scare him too much," Arisa said, her tone light but tinged with nervousness. "He's not that bad."

But her attempt at levity fell flat as her father fixed Thyme with a serious gaze. "Thyme, I hope you understand that Arisa is very important to me. I won't let just anyone waltz into her life without knowing who they are."

Thyme nodded respectfully, his demeanor calm and composed despite the intensity of Mr. Chirawit's scrutiny. "I understand, sir. And I assure you, Arisa means the world to me."

Mr. Chirawit nodded thoughtfully. "And what do you plan to do with your future? Do you have a career path in mind?"

Thyme cleared his throat, feeling the pressure of the interrogation mounting. "I'm still figuring things out, sir. But I'm determined to work hard and make something of myself."

Arisa couldn't help but interject, trying to lighten the mood. "Dad, come on. Thyme's not applying for a job interview."

But Mr. Chirawit remained stoic, his expression unyielding. "Arisa, this is important. I need to make sure that whoever you're with is responsible and capable of taking care of you."

Thyme nodded, understanding Mr. Chirawit's concern. "I assure you, sir, I have nothing but the utmost respect for Arisa. I would never do anything to hurt her."

Mr. Chirawit regarded Thyme for a moment longer before finally relaxing his posture. "Very well, Thyme. I appreciate your honesty. Just know that I'll be keeping an eye on you."

Thyme let out a nervous chuckle, relieved that the interrogation was coming to an end. "Of course, sir. I wouldn't expect anything less."

Arisa watched anxiously as her father continued to question Thyme, his protective instincts in full force. But with each sincere answer, she felt a sense of pride swell within her.

Finally, as the interrogation drew to a close, Mr. Chirawit relented, offering Thyme a small but genuine smile. "Well, I suppose you'll do for now. Just remember, young man, Arisa is my daughter. Treat her with the respect and care she deserves."

Thyme nodded solemnly, his gaze unwavering as he met Mr. Chirawit's eyes. "I wouldn't have it any other way, sir."

As Mr. Chirawit retreated to another room, Arisa let out a sigh of relief, her playful demeanor returning. "Well, that wasn't so bad, was it?"