5

Anirudh sat near the desk, deep in contemplation of her recent actions. His heart and logic warred within him, his words caught in the tangled chords of emotion.

Interlacing his fingers, he placed them on the desk, lost in thought. His gaze lingered on her photo frame, a bittersweet ache tugging at his heart. With a pout, he clutched the picture, feeling a soulful connection to her captured essence.

Slowly, his fingers caressed the soul of her picture. A part of her. And then paused over her sweet face. His thumb having a mind of its own stream stroking her cheek in the image. Urging to literally hold them, squeeze them, caress them. Plant a lingering kiss on her forehead and take her whole petite frame in a deep embrace to reach his ultimate Nirvana.

A gasp escaped his lips as the reality dawned upon him - only a few days remained before she would depart for her higher studies.

These fleeting moments were all they had to create lasting memories before being consumed by the desperation of separation, unsure when they would reunite again.

Tears threatened to blur his vision as he tore his gaze away from the frame, pressing it against his chest to seek some warmth.

She is going to leave him!?

And he won't be able to cope without her jolly presence in his life.

The irony of it all: he had been the one to decide she should pursue her studies in a new environment. His heart ached with the weight of their impending separation, his mind struggling to comprehend her complex behaviour in recent days.

A sigh escaped his lips as he leaned back in his chair.

Why must she do that?

Was it because of that incident?

"Stop please"

"Leave, I am no one to you"

"Please don't do that to me."

"What you did what about that?"

"I have a reason behind it."

"Oh really, Enlighten me with it."

Tears rolled her down cheeks, "I... I Love You, I really do"

And what he did do? He had ignored her entreaties, leaving her in tears as he had turned his back on her, unable to face his own emotions.

He cleared his throat to shake off the memory. It's been more than three years, no chance that's happening again.

Anirudh rose from his seat and approached their shared plant, gently stroking its leaves. They had talked about moving past their past hurts, but he couldn't shake the feeling that something was amiss. Was there something else troubling her?

Had his playful demeanour crossed a boundary, or was it the impact of a certain song that had stirred up old wounds? He took a deep breath, trying to calm the storm of sentiments raging within him.

These moments are theirs, they why is she on a mission to spoil them?

He has no idea.

The wind crept in through the windows' crevices, its gentle touch sending shivers down his arms, his hair brushing against his forehead, a faint warmth stirring within him, beckoning him to embrace it.

Just like his heart, he had firmly locked away any traces of emotion, refusing to let even a hint of feeling infiltrate his resolve. And then she arrived, tiptoeing into his life quietly, stealthily, her eyes set on finding a permanent place in his heart, a place he didn't know existed.