Drawing with a Dragon

Azula would be the first to admit that having another creature's thoughts flowing through your head was bizarre.

The morning after her birthday Azula awoke, her head spinning from the lack of sleep she had received the night before. She was prepared to turn back over, knowing that it was a weekend and that she didn't have any responsibilities until later in the day.

That plan was forgotten when she felt an odd sense of joy, a feeling she certainly wasn't feeling at the moment. Taking a second to steady herself, still in the process of waking up, she tried to focus on the feeling.

The answer became clear to her almost immediately as she felt Sora's delight at her being awake echo through this shared connection.

Oh right.

She had absently noted that she could feel her dragon's thoughts and emotions yesterday after they had bonded, but she had brushed it aside at the time, deciding instead to focus on the elation she had felt at the moment.

She found herself regretting that decision as she tried to make heads or tails of the connection with a migraine pulsing through her temple.

Groaning she lay back down, trying to ignore the headache and focus on the strange sensation. It was easy to feel Sora's presence in her mind, the thoughts coming from the dragon were clearly different from her own. Despite the unusual circumstances she found she didn't mind.

Having the morning free she was given plenty of time to toy around with this mental bond, finding out that she could mute the thoughts passing through to avoid distraction or turn it off completely. She only did the latter for a second, before quickly reopening from her end. The bond was already starting to feel normal, and shutting it off was almost unnatural. The relief flooding in from Sora indicated that she agreed.

Deciding to roll with the strange situation she found herself in, she quickly got ready for the day, preparing to go to breakfast, despite still feeling very tired. She knew that the day was bound to be eventful, and she'd rather not deal with it hungry.

"You look like crap," was the first words that greeted her from her marvelously kind brother. She glared at him, not liking how upbeat he currently looked. It seemed someone managed to get proper rest.

"You know Zuzu, most civilized people agree that 'good morning' is the appropriate greeting at this time," she groused, moving to get her food ready. She had seen the bags under her eyes as she prepared herself but hadn't felt the energy to apply makeup to cover them up. She was starting to regret that choice.

"Why are you even tired," he continued, her barb not landing as she had hoped. She dearly hoped that she wasn't losing her edge. "Didn't you go to bed early last night? What were you doing?"

He was right, at least partially. She had turned in earlier than normal, claiming that she was more tired than usual from her bending lessons. That was a cover-up to see Sora earlier of course, but Zuko didn't need to know that. She ignored the influx of joy from her dragon at the thought.

"Yes well, I didn't as much sleep as I would have wanted," she began truthfully. She truly would like more rest. "But I think I'll save the reason why for later." She ended with a smirk, which caused him to cease his questioning.

Zuko still had a healthy fear for her smiles it would seem.

As she finished her food, she took a moment to think about how today would go. She was very excited, despite the fatigue she felt. She would have another firebending lesson today, as she did every day, but this one would be unique.

She would reveal her blue fire.

She quickly started heading back to her room, wanting privacy to try to conjure the intense flames. It wasn't that she doubted she could, having Sora's thoughts about an interesting bug she found flitting through her head made it clear she hadn't made last night up. Still, she needed to see this for herself, just as confirmation.