The Master Bender

Azula readied herself with a breath, ignoring the feeling of sweat that had built up from her previous performance. She focused her mind and gazed straight ahead, before bursting into movement.

She went through the now familiar circular motions and felt the energy buildup, much quicker than she had done a few months prior. In a second she felt herself reach the terminal point and threw her arm forward, launching a large bolt of lightning through the air.

A loud crack resonated throughout the area before it was enveloped by complete silence. She centered herself quickly and turned, bowing toward her audience for the day. She kept her head down until she heard applause, signifying she was permitted to cease her gesture.

She kept her face steady and blank as she spotted the people in attendance. Lo and Li stood side by side, clapping in eerie synchrony. Next to them stood a stern-faced firebending master whose name she had not bothered to learn. Her uncle, who was giving her a proud smile, stood beside the taller man, barely reaching his shoulders in height.

Her attention was quickly pulled away from the gathered assembly as the Firelord strode towards her, a satisfied gleam in his eyes. The princess met his gaze evenly, ignoring the cold feeling that enveloped her at seeing her father. They had only had sparse interactions since her 'disappointing' first performance at Lightning Generation.

As he neared her she passively felt the burning of his inner flame, intense in its power but lacking in the warmth she often attributed to her bending. She kept her face neutral as got within arms reach of her.

"Congratulations Azula," He said with pride coloring his voice, placing a strong hand resting on her shoulder. "I think it is clear that you have succeeded on this day.."

He turned his intimidating gaze toward the Firebending master, who nodded quickly before stepping forward. "Yes, the princess is unquestionably a master at the noble art of Firebending! I give my approval to grant her the title."

The man's tone did nothing to hide his nerves at addressing his lord, but her father simply nodded before turning back to his daughter. "Then it is official. Azula, you are a master firebender, the youngest to achieve the title within the last century. Carry the title with honor and use your skills for our continual march to progress."

Azula gave a short nod, "Of course, Father." Her words were spoken calmly, but inwardly she felt elation flooding her body. She had achieved a dream she'd had since she could remember! She basked in joy at that thought and the happiness Sora was projecting towards her.

"We will have a celebratory feast in the coming days," Her father continued with an acknowledging nod. "Continue refining your skills Azula. They will be invaluable as a true heir to this Nation." He turned away after those final words, no doubt striding back to his throne room to continue his work.

'Heir?' Azula thought at his odd choice of term. She was his second child and while closer to the throne than previously, she was still the last in line. 'What does he...'

Azula pushed away the uncomfortable feeling that arose at his words, graciously accepting the praise she received from the remaining gathered people. After a few moments, Lo and Li along with the Master began to leave. Azula watched them go, sympathy blooming within her at the green tinge the Master's cheeks had taken as he conversed with the twins.

The old crones were skilled at making others feel ill with their eccentricities.

The princess was jolted from her thoughts as she was pulled into a hug by her uncle. She froze for a second before quickly recovering, and slowly reciprocating the affectionate gesture. It was still an odd feeling, but she couldn't dismiss the warmth she felt that was not dissimilar from her bending.