Agni Kai

Azula looked around the palace with open confusion, perplexed by the odd behavior being exhibited.

She had just returned from an ordinary, and rather boring, day of school. She had been making plans to go to her room to change into more appropriate clothes to practice her bending, lightning in particular, but as she entered the palace grounds those thoughts left her head abruptly.

She saw servants scurrying about with an odd haste, which heavily contrasted with their eerie silence. It was clear to the princess that they were preparing for something, something big. She knew there was no major event scheduled, and even if she was somehow wrong, the clear rush only solidified her thoughts.

Something had happened while she was gone today, and she felt a sinking feeling settle in her stomach as she once more took in the grim atmosphere.

Without hesitation, she focused on the bond between her and Sora, 'Are you alright!?' It was unlikely that something had happened to the dragon without Azula being aware, but she had to be sure.

She sighed in relief at the reassurance she received from her other half, but she was still just as in the dark as before. She needed information quickly.

"You," She said while pointing at a young man, causing him to halt. He bowed nervously and was shuffling, clearly intent on getting back to work but not wanting to be insolent. Hopefully, he will be quick with his answer. "What is going on?"

The young man blinked blankly for a moment before his eyes widened with the realization that she had missed the announcement. "I-its an Agni Kai, Princess!" He said urgently, his words slightly meshing together in his haste. "P-prince Zuko will be fighting at noon tomorrow!"

It took a second for Azula to process the hurried speech, her eyes narrowing when they finally dawned on her. She bit back the urge to curse and straightened her spine, looking at the servant fiercely. "Who is his opponent?"

"I-I don't know princess! We were only told to prepare immediately..." The youthful man trailed off as he quivered under her gaze, but she was already marching off. Her mind was whirling with thoughts, but she doubted any of the other servants around her would be more helpful. She fiddled with her necklace as she started on a path to a more reliable source of information.

The young bending master entered the ex-generals room with nary a knock, striding forward with determined steps. She spotted her uncle's hunched form on the bed, the old man oblivious to her entrance. She cleared her throat to gain his attention, causing Iroh to jump in surprise.

He turned towards her with an uncharacteristically irritated look which faded once he realized who had entered. "Oh, Azula... shouldn't you be at school?" He murmured softly, his eyes not quite focused. Now that his back was turned, she easily saw the puffiness around them.

"School ended over an hour ago," Azula said with a pointed look towards the clock in the man's room. He followed her gaze and gave a small, choked chuckle as he saw the time.

"Forgive me, niece, it seems I lost track of time..."

His apology was clearly false, his mind was still not committed to the conversation. Azula bit back the urge to growl, momentarily surprised at how draconic the action was before she shook her head. She needed answers and she would get them now.

"What happened to Zuko, Uncle?" She said irritably, cutting straight to the point. Her uncle's current state was worrying and the pit in her stomach was growing the longer she went unanswered. "Why is he having an Agni Kai?"

Iroh's eyes dimmed at her words, which briefly caused an unpleasantness in her chest before she swiftly pushed it aside. She could worry about his well-being when she had all of the details.