Chapter 5 - Naan

Coming back from town, Walt strutted into the kitchen and struck a heroic pose, puffing up in overstated pride. "There's a new sheriff in town," he pronounced. A shiny star adorned his chest, and a stunner pistol hung from his belt. All he needed now was spurs and a cowboy hat.

"We're saved!" I drawled like a southern belle, fanning myself with a towel. "Somebody catch me when I swoon."

With hands working bread dough on the counter, Riya giggled at our little melodramatic show. Over the last week, she insisted on helping by cooking and cleaning, and we were happy to accept. As a bonus, she was also an exceptional baker.

After meeting with the regional Agricultural Extension Agent, we made a farm plan, breaking it up into manageable chunks. Walt impressed me with his business sense. We rented out the back half of our property to a neighbor for dairy cattle grazing, who was particularly interested in the small burbling creek, since water was in short supply around here. Walt had borrowed a sod-buster tractor attachment from the cooperative and broke ground for crops while Riya helped me establish a garden bed behind the shed.

"Oh," Walt said, coming back to his real persona, "Kiran will come by after lunch with the chicken fencing, and he said he would help us put it up. I couldn't say no to that."

Kiran had a claim a few klicks away, and he was the one who sold us his chickens. He planned on expanding a successful orchard and wanted to get out of the chicken business. Maybe he got tired of chickens like I had.

*****

Kiran's rounded face carried a friendly smile, bright white teeth contrasting with smooth brown skin, trimmed black mustache, and bushy dark hair. A tall, fit man, he came dressed to work, wearing sturdy boots and rugged brown trousers, partially covered by a long, stained cream-colored t-shirt.

"I'd like you to meet someone, Kiran," Walt said, leading our guest into the kitchen. "This is Riya. She only recently arrived on this world."

Riya's small hand disappeared within Kiran's massive paws. "I am happy to meet you, Riya," he said with a short bow.

Before Riya could respond, Kiran's eyes shot wide open, and he sucked in a breath. "Is that naan? Do my Martian eyes deceive me?"

"It is so," Riya replied with a widening smile. "With garlic and herbs — my grandmother's recipe."

"I have many fond memories of my grandmother's naan. She made it in the traditional way."

Riya lifted a wooden tray heaped with warm, puffy bread, presenting them to Kiran. "I have no tandoor, but I just made these in the oven. Would you like to try one?"

Holding his breath, Kiran slowly reached forward, reverently cradling an oblong naan within two hands. After sniffing the garlicky aroma, he tore off a piece and stuffed it in his mouth. While chewing, his eyes rolled back. "I have achieved nirvana," he mewed, then looked upon the baker with appreciative eyes. "And you, my dear Riya, then you must be goddess."

Riya absolutely glowed with the compliment, which sounded kinda cheesy to me, but that might be the cynical part of me. Her smile widened as she shyly dipped her eyes, then lifted them again, rounding her lips.

"Where was your home, Riya? he asked.

"Mumbai."

"New Delhi," Kiran said, pointing to himself, "but many years ago."