Chapter 6 - Monsters

"Where's Riya?" Walt asked, scanning the crowd.

We spotted her across the open area, talking to another woman under a sprawling tree, unaware that her abusive husband had arrived. Kiren stood at the snack table, pouring two cups of lemonade.

Even from here, I saw Damion's foul expression, like he planned something bad. And he brought two friends with him. But what worried me most was the pneumatic projectile gun holstered on his belt.

"Mavis, go warn Riya," Walt urged, "while I try to head Damion off."

Walt was the sheriff, but unarmed right now. My hand lingered in his as we separated. "Be careful, okay?"

But Damion was a lot closer to Riya, and he walked straight toward her, two goons following. This was bad. Walt and I broke into a run.

Riya yelped when Damion came up behind and grabbed her wrist, yanking her away. "You're coming with me, Riya." he snarled.

"Don't do this, Damion," Riya cried out, stumbling as he dragged her along. She tried to pull away, but he held on too tightly.

"You belong to me, Riya."

"Stop!" Walt yelled, running up behind with a hand held out. But Damion's companions blocked, stepping in Walt's path and stiff-arming him back.

I jumped to Riya's side and grabbed her other wrist, stretching her arms out. "Let her go, Damion!" I ordered in my firmest voice, which actually kind of wavered a bit.

"You've interfered enough," he hissed, taking a step closer.

Next thing I knew, I sprawled out on the grass, pain exploding from my right cheek where Damion backhanded me.

"Mavis!" Walt yelled, pushing forward. When the two goons pushed back, Walt punched one in the gut, making him bend over. But the other man shoved, forcing Walt to stumble backwards onto the ground.

By now, a crowd circle formed around the fight. Damion yanked Riya to him. She gasped as he put her into a choke hold with an elbow around her neck. As Damion drew his gun, but keeping it pointed down, a collective gasp burst out from the onlookers.

"Stay back!" Damion growled, baring his teeth. "This is nobody else's business. She is my wife, and she is mine."

Walt jumped up, holding up his hands. "It's over, Damion. You aren't getting out of this."

"It's over when I say it's over," Damion huffed, swinging the gun around at the startled crowd.

But what Damion hadn't counted on was Kiran marching straight for him, face like a raging bear. Kiran was a big man, and when he bared teeth, was intimidating as hell.

"Let her go," Kiran said in an even voice that dripped with implied threat. He clenched fists at his side.

Damion pointed his gun at Kiran, halting Kiran's advance, but deepening his scowl. "Who is this man, whore?" Damion spat, taking aim.

"No!" Riya yelled, and her expression morphed from fear to anger.

Riya shoved Damion's gun hand up, causing the weapon to discharge with a sharp pop. Then, with a grunt, she stomped hard on his foot.

While Damion yelled out in pain, the arm holding Riya relaxed, and she slid down and out.

Kiran lunged, grabbing the gun arm with one big hand, and pile-driving two quick, straight punches to Damion's face with the other. With a groan, Damion folded to his knees, then tipped over, blood trickling from his nose. On the way down, Kiran snatched away the gun.