Chapter 7 - Fires

As the week went on, Jyn's ominous warning about Fleming Barnes hung in my mind like skunk scent on a shaggy dog. What would he do? He was an important man on this world, and important people doing bad things had ruined Earth. Mars wasn't exempt.

Turned out, Jyn was a lawyer, and she had wanted to get away from it like I wanted to get away from chickens. But then, here we were. Anyway, she filed to annul Riya's arranged marriage, saying it was a sure thing given the circumstances. Jyn refused any sort of payment, but Riya insisted, paying with naan bread.

But this got me thinking, how many other gals got stuck with bad men? And if so, where could they go? Didn't seem like many safety nets were here on Mars, except each other.

Walt broke my thoughts when he burst through the back door, then nearly slammed it shut. Huffing, he peered out the window and said, "I swear that demon rooster is stalking me."

Godzilla didn't bother me or Riya anymore. Maybe it was just a male thing. Pa always had more rooster tussles than I did, but any bird that came after him got punted across the yard. Didn't want Walt to hurt our only rooster. "I'll have a talk with him," I said.

"Really? You reason with chickens?"

"Me and Godzilla have an understandin'."

Walt let out a sigh, shaking his head — don't think he believed me.

"Breakfast is ready," Riya announced, carrying a platter of fried eggs and fresh bread. The eggs were our first from the chickens, so it was kinda special. Then, as we sat at the table, Riya brought out honey in a glass jar.

Walt wrinkled his forehead. "Where did we get honey?"

"Kiren gave it to me," Riya replied with a glowing smile. "He keeps bees for his trees."

"That was mighty sweet of him," Walt replied, emphasizing the word sweet.

Riya giggled, but I just clamped my eyes closed and groaned. "That was bad, even by your standards, Walt."

As we ate, I said, "I was thinkin'--"

"That's dangerous," Walt interjected, wearing that mischievous grin he gets sometimes. Usually, it gave me a happy tingle, but not this time.

"Just 'cause I was thinkin'," I retorted, pointing a finger, "doesn't mean there's goin' to be trouble." Okay, so generally those two things went together, but I wasn't going to tell him that. "I was thinkin' about the other gals that came with me to Mars, and how they was doin'. Haven't talked to any lately, except Riya."

"Then you ought to contact them. You could set up a private SoNet."

"Huh?"

Walt put down his fork and used his hands for emphasis. "A SoNet — an online social network. I can help you set it up."

I grinned. "You're turnin' out to be useful, not-husband."

"Anything for my not-wife."

After clearing away the dishes, Walt used my com-viewer to create a SoNet site in no time, making me the administrator. I named it the Martian Bride Network. Then Riya and I sent out the word to all our contacts, asking them to spread it further.

*****

The truck bounced along through our pasture while Walt steered around the bigger rocks and dips. It was a beautiful day, although windy. The tall grass mesmerized me, swaying in synchronized amber waves like fancy dancers, alternately showing, then hiding the colorful wildflowers that competed for sunlight. Our neighbor's dairy cattle dipped their heads within the waves, searching for tender green sprouts, while birds fluttered above.