Chapter 12 - Complications of a Worse Kind

Riya, Elena, and Amalhi promised to look after the farm while Jyn, Walt, and I traveled to Ares Central. We had a lot of work to do preparing our defense. Jyn, in particular, had gone above and beyond to help us, and I made a mental note to somehow repay her kindness. But I think she was just as eager to stick it to Fleming Barnes.

After arriving late afternoon on the lev-train, we walked down the platform to the waiting lobby, carrying our bags. There, four smiling female faces met us, all members of Martian Bride Network.

My grin matched theirs. "What are y'all doin' here?"

"We're here to help," said Robyn, a short, freckled redhead from Ireland. I opened my mouth to protest, but before any words came out, she stuck a finger out at me. "And before ye say again that this be only yer problem and not ours, remember, we Martian brides look out for each other. Right?"

"Umm, okay." Damn, if she didn't just use my words against me.

"And where are you staying?" Asked Janus, a pretty former Canadian with sandy-brown hair tied in a long braid.

"Probably find a room at the hostel--"

"No, you're not," she ordered, narrowing amber eyes. "My new husband owns a pub, and we have guest rooms upstairs. You're staying with us."

"Umm, okay?"

"Right," said Sofia, a tall, dark-haired woman with long flirty eyelashes from Chile. "Before I came to Mars, I was a forensics accountant, so I can help."

"Okay..."

Ming, a petite woman with short dark hair from China, approached my not-husband with a knowing smirk. "You must be Walt. Mavis told us allll about you."

Walt glanced my way, wrinkling his brow. "What did you tell them about me, Mavis?"

"Umm, not too much..." I gulped, my voice trailing off.

Ming scanned Jyn, looking up into the taller woman's dark eyes. "You are the lawyer, yes?"

Eyes widening, Jyn merely nodded to the perky dynamo.

"Good. Let us go," Ming said, impatiently motioning. "I have a car to take you anywhere."

These gals chased away my gloom, and a warm wave of optimism washed over my heart.

*****

Turned out, Janus' husband owned the Red Dawn Pub, the same tavern I snuck off to on my first Martian evening, and where I first met Walt. He remembered, too, winking at me as we entered the front door. The pub would soon open for the evening as the port workers finished their shift thirsty for drinks, so no customers yet, just a cute barmaid scurrying about making final preparations, and a man cleaning within the center rectangular bar. He was as tall as Walt, but about ten years older and with reddish-blonde hair and trimmed beard. We knew for sure this was Janus' new husband, Brett, when she went right up and laid a slobbery kiss on his smoocher.

After introductions, Janus took us upstairs and showed us to our rooms. Three doors lined one side of a short hallway. Long, narrow tinted windows overlooked the bar area below.

When Sofia entered the first door, I furrowed my brow.

"I left my husband," Sofia explained with a sigh. "All he wanted from me was cooking, cleaning, and shagging — not necessarily in that order. Janus gave me room and board in exchange for keeping the pub financial books."

Jyn took the second room, which included a partitioned area with a round table and chairs where we could meet to discuss legal strategy.

With a sly grin, Janus opened the last door for Walt and me. It had simple, but comfortable, hotel-like furnishings with a small bathroom, small desk with lamp, two padded chairs, and a double bed. But just one bed...