Chapter 23: In My Time of Dying

tw's: violence, gore, etc.

Encircling Lucifer, Castiel prowls like the bringer of death he has become. He is amongst his garrison, both old and new. Balthazar at his side, Anna joining the fight, her presence beside him both empowering him and itching his spine to bow to her command. Still, she yields to him, knowing that Castiel has faced the devil before and survived. His brother, Gabriel at his flank, holds his archangel blade, jeering at Lucifer with taunts that Castiel can in no goodwill repeat. Though the stench of sulfur is strong in the bunker, with the dozens of demons that have died on its grounds in the last few hours, Castiel senses Crowley step into their angelic execution ring, holding his blade and chin high.

Next to him, Castiel feels a darker presence, and he tilts his head slightly to see Cain. The first demon, the original bearer of the Mark, raising his own silver angel blade high in the bunker's lighting, and Castiel feels hope flicker inside his chest. The devil cannot escape them with a force this strong, with a garrison this determined.

And finally, to his right, Castiel feels his son join the fight. This time, Castiel does turn to him, seeing Jack's blood dripping from his nose, a killing calm over his features that Castiel only sees in Claire and Dean Winchester. Dean's red flannel over Jack's body is torn at the sleeves from blades digging into Jack's skin yet unable to pierce his skin. Jack has learned. He has learned not to be left vulnerable in the presence of danger, especially with Lucifer. His son has made mistakes and learned. His son is good. His son is God.

"Jack," Lucifer says, his knees bent as he takes in the garrison of angels, and demons that plan to take him apart, "You've grown older. You're breaking your old man's heart, aging like that."

Jack does not flinch. He does not allow an ounce of pity into his features as he stares his biological father down. "You are no father," Jack says, gripping his blade tighter. "I have parents, and you are not one of them."

Castiel swells, his chest expanding as he can feel his soul twisting and stretching. He almost staggers with it, with the weight of Jack's love. His love for Castiel, his love for Dean, and Sam, and Eileen.

"You're wrong." Lucifer grits his teeth. "I know we've had our differences, but you are my blood. You are mine."

Jack shakes his head, his eyes hard, Dean's words falling from their son's mouth. "Family doesn't end in blood. It doesn't start their either."

And with that, Castiel wields his blade, mustering his power, and lunges for the devil's heart.

At the same time, Anna lunges too, their strategies in battle synced, even after all these years. Castiel, just a split second ahead, lunges to the right of Lucifer, causing the devil to step left, and just then, Anna sinks her blade into Lucifer's back, hitting his shoulder blade. But the silver metal of the angel blade only enrages him further, and Lucifer twists, gripping Anna by the throat, and hurls her away. Castiel sees her spine connect with the staircase railing, sees her head snap backward at the intense impact, and Castiel narrows his eyes, lunging forward again to hit the devil in the face.

Lucifer sidesteps, but Cain is there, digging his own angel blade into Lucifer's side, gripping the devil's elbow, muttering something in his ear.

Lucifer only roars, and with a blast of white light, he sends Cain across the room, watching the demon fly across the war room table.

Castiel slides forward, flipping his blade, and he growls, his teeth bared. "Surrender or die."

Lucifer only laughs, a hallow, harrowing sound, and points to where a body lies broken on the floor of the bunker underneath the entrance. Castiel stares at the body, unable to recognize it immediately due to the damaged inflicted on the corpse. His stomach twists, throat tightening as he notes the injuries on the fallen man. Its eyes are gone, not burnt out, but carved. Skin is missing along its arms and hands. Castiel has only seen torture like this in hell.