tom riddle

Tom Riddle is not a redeemable character.
Tom Riddle should not be romanticized.
Tom Riddle is a pureblood supremacist (aka. RACIST) and should not be deemed as "fuckable" or "dateable" because he's hot/attractive.

This fandom has always found very odd ways to make new content to consume but there are certain things that just shouldn't be touched. A backstory book on Tom Riddle or a book that provides more insight onto him is one thing but to write a book where you romanticize him and he has feelings back? Why would you want that, for one? For two, he canonically can't feel love for anyone due to the fact that he was conceived under a love potion. Going out of your way to change that canon is revolting and disgusting.

Let's also discuss WHY Tom Riddle is a bad person, shall we?

Starting with what is referred to as the "Tom Riddle Era" - we know that he started making horcruxes while still at Hogwarts. As in, splitting his soul? Making him less than human? Do we follow this? Yes? No? Just want to make sure we're grasping what I'm saying. Tom Riddle split his soul into a bunch of pieces and removed them from himself making him less than human, if human at all.

So glad we cleared that one up and still within this era - we know that he opened the Chamber of Secrets being a parseltongue, and did what, pray tell? Oh yeah, HE KILLED MUGGLEBORNS BECAUSE THEY HE THOUGHT THEY WERE BENEATH HIM. Sorry for shouting, just wanted to make sure that piece of information was fully absorbed. Ginny was not his first attempt. This has happened before and we can infer that he killed multiple people based off of the teacher's reactions. He killed MULTIPLE children because he found them to be beneath him. And you want to love this man? That's disgusting. It's giving people romanticizing Ted Bundy because Ross Lynch played him, like what??? Do you guys understand this?

Yes, I'm aware that a lot of (NOT ALL) of the people writing Tom Riddle fics are children and I'm hoping they grow out of this phase. Tom Riddle being played by a hot man (and barely, imo, I'm sorry but he's not that hot) doesn't make it okay to write about him in this manner? It's disgusting, fiction character or not.

Also, friendly reminder, Tom Riddle is Voldemort.

Yes, this man.

And this one.

I'm not sure if people just don't comprehend that they are the same person who are cruel for the sake of being cruel or what but it's objectively nasty and unpleasant. If you're my mutual and you post Tom Riddle love story's maybe we need to have a conversation about not being mutuals anymore...

And just to make sure we're clear...Tom Riddle is incapable of love. He would also want you dead...take a second to absorb that.

Anyway, this about sums it up (though there is so much more I could say) but thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Until next time, later haters, xoxo